compiling as shared library fails (err 42)

We have a LabVIEW 2020 SP1 project on Linux that compiles well on Ubuntu 20 (not officially supported)

We compile as an application and also as a shared library
We use the application (with UI) for test and debug and in production we run the shared library as a service

We do not use any DAQ or any other NI driver

We moved to CentOS 8 (officially supported), fresh install of LabVIEW 2020 SP1 and here the application compiles well but the compiling as a shared library fails, the compilation process runs till the end (or seems to) and then returns the following error :

Error 42 occurred at System Exec.vi. Command was "gcc -m64 -shared -g  -O2 -fPIC -Wl,-Bsymbolic -I/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2020-64/cintools "synchrohub.c" /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2020-64/AppLibs/lvdll.a  -o "synchrohub.so" -lstdc++ -ldl"

Any one has any idea what the issue could be?

cross-posted to NI forum

Edited by Antoine Chalons
add link to NIF post
  • Antoine Chalons changed the title to compiling as shared library fails (err 42)

I don't know if this helps in any way, but I wanted to see if I would see similar behavior with LabVIEW 2021SP1 CE on my Linux Mint 21 installation - and I did not.

You had mentioned that you were using LabVIEW 2020 (Not officially supported).  Does your circumstances prohibit you from moving to a supported version of LabVIEW?

If I think about it later today, I'll do this same thing on a Zorin16/LabVIEW2018 VM that I have running at work to see if I see the behavior there.  I don't know if it contributes anything other than another data point.

image.png.5ee7b1b5ae1fabdbcfd48394008598b0.png 

Thanks for trying!
I did try with LabVIEW 2022 and get the same result on CentOS 8

On Ubuntu 20 I never had this issue with LabVIEW 2020 SP1 or 2022

Also I saw this old post from Mickael who had a similar issue back in 2014 :

and interestingly, on the second start of LabVIEW 2022, the system exec.vi works BUT compiling still fails with the same feedback :(