System colors in palette

For some obscure reason, I've always thought up to today that system colors on the color palette did adapt to system colors like the dialog objects... So I colored many controls and labels thinking that they would nicely adapt to end user color scheme. I was wrong!

Therefore my wish is that so called system colors be portable and truly adapt to color scheme.

OK I typed too fast. There is no obscure reason. It works but not always as I expect.

post-447-1127500650.png?width=400

Under silver theme, I colored the label "Seuils d'operation du bulleur" with the system window color. Labels "Version" and "Signature" are colored with system object color.

post-447-1127500692.png?width=400

Under lilac theme (yuck!) the two latter are correct but the first isn't. I guess it's because the dialog tab in the silver theme doesn't the have neither the window color nor the panel/object color.

Is the solution to use a normal tab colored with system object color?

Jean Pierre

Yes, in general, The system window color is different from the system object color although depending which theme is selected they might be identical.

What you can do to find out which is what (and this is not fool proof) is to look in the display property.

post-121-1127502980.png?width=400

Select Advanced here

post-121-1127502994.png?width=400

This is the setting which I believe is the equivalent of System Window in Labview

post-121-1127503020.png?width=400

This is the setting which I believe is the equivalent of System Object in Labview

PJM

Thanks PJM.

However, the system tab color seems special in the sliver theme. The color is not uniform, slightly darker in the bottom (see my previous post) so there is no single color one can use to put a label over the decoration. The solution to use a normal 2D tab colored with object/panel color seems to work well but for the sake of uniformity I'll have to change all tabs in my application.

Thanks PJM.

However, the system tab color seems special in the sliver theme. The color is not uniform, slightly darker in the bottom (see my previous post) so there is no single color one can use to put a label over the decoration. The solution to use a normal 2D tab colored with object/panel color seems to work well but for the sake of uniformity I'll have to change all tabs in my application.

Yes, you are correct. I've been throught this exact dilemma before. There is no object (decoration) that mimics the WinXP themes stuff. This is a real wish, to tie-in somehow to the winXP skinning.

Yes, you are correct. I've been throught this exact dilemma before. There is no object (decoration) that mimics the WinXP themes stuff. This is a real wish, to tie-in somehow to the winXP skinning.

Then I change my wish for a "labelled frame" where the frame is not drawn under a transparent label.

Then I change my wish for a "labelled frame" where the frame is not drawn under a transparent label.

Well granted, sort of...

post-447-1127761603.png?width=400

I realized that when the label colors are set to <anything>/Black, the label background takes the color of the underneath panel. It was by accident, seeing the application run on another machine where some labels had the correct system colors...