Clicking on a Numeric Array to Open another VI

Rohit

Hey all, I am a long time reader, first time poster (not really experienced). I was hoping someone can help me out with this problem.

Given an array of say ten elements, all being numeric for example, I want to be able to say click (or double click) on for example the 5th element and bring up another window with information solely for that element.

I tried playing with the Events Structure however I can only select the entire array to perform the event, not just a single element in the array.

Is there a way to I guess, track where the mouse clicked so that I can perform actions pertaining to the desired element? Or another 'proper' way of doing what I am looking to do?

Hope I made sense...

Thanks.

Rohit

Thanks a lot for the input guys. Both the listbox and the array will come in handy. One thing I like about the listbox is that it has a vertical scrollbar. Is there any way of inputting a scrollbar on an array?

It can be done, but you'll need to program it. You can use the IndexVals property of the array in combination with a numeric slider to set the visible part of the array.

As of october 3rd it will very probably be built into LabVIEW. :thumbup:

It can be done, but you'll need to program it. You can use the IndexVals property of the array in combination with a numeric slider to set the visible part of the array.

As of october 3rd it will very probably be built into LabVIEW. :thumbup:

Hey thats not a bad idea, thanks! Guess you got to be a little creative :thumbup:

haha well I guess if you want to get rid of a couple of extra wires edit the control. I have been having so much fun with listboxes, that I've filled them totally up, however just can't seem to figure out how to make sure I have a 'clean' listbox when I start my program.

Attached is a simple insert, if someone can tell me how on earth to clear it (because I can't seem to find any property nodes, and if I have a list of 500 items, does it make sense to delete all the rows each time i start up...)

Download File:post-3094-1127934686.vi

Alright last question on this topic which I seemed to have butchered. I am trying to incorporate a boolean control array along with the listbox where each control corresponds to the specific index in the listbox. Idealy I would like the array to scroll along with the scrolling of the listbox, so the controls line up so to speak. I didn't have any luck with finding events or properties that can be manipulated. The only other option I tried was using an array of clusters, where each cluster has some data (like a numeric or string) and the boolean control, in this case a checkbox. However what I found was that for one thing, I would have to play with the pixels of course to get the original question on clicking on an array to work, and another thing I found that I was unable to check off the boxes in the array, they simply acted as indicators.

Any suggestions? Attached is the listbox vi and the array of clusters vi.

edit: when continuously playing with the array of clusters option, i found that using the pixels as a tracker for the clicks, if i 'scroll' (ie updating the index), and complete a cycle for example in scrolling, if i click on the first element in the new appearing cycle, it gives me the first element of the entire array, so I guess for my application the listbox would be ideal if I can incorporate the boolean checkboxes along with each row.

Download File:post-3094-1128000843.vi

Download File:post-3094-1128000859.vi

Alright last question on this topic which I seemed to have butchered. I am trying to incorporate a boolean control array along with the listbox where each control corresponds to the specific index in the listbox. Idealy I would like the array to scroll along with the scrolling of the listbox, so the controls line up so to speak. I didn't have any luck with finding events or properties that can be manipulated.

Any suggestions? Attached is the listbox vi and the array of clusters vi.

Hi Rohit,

The listbox has a property whereby you can display a little symbol next to each entry. Instead of having a complicated series of moving boolean arrays, just display a "check" symbol for true and a "x" for false.

Right-click on an item in the listbox and visible items>symbols. You can also access this property through the property nodes.

And yes, you can add a scroll-bar to the array by right-clicking on the array>Advanced>Customize and then edit the array control to replace the up and down arrows with a scrollbar.

Neville.