occurence events

I am struggeling to find the best way to deal with occurences. Especially the wait on occurence is a pain. It requires a while loop and only detects an occurence when waiting on one. Occurences seem to have something in common with.. event structures, and oh, wouldn't be nice if there was something like an "occurence event." I know I could register an occurence as a user event, but what's the use of that? What I would like to see, is an occurence event!

I am struggeling to find the best way to deal with occurences. Especially the wait on occurence is a pain. It requires a while loop and only detects an occurence when waiting on one. Occurences seem to have something in common with.. event structures, and oh, wouldn't be nice if there was something like an "occurence event." I know I could register an occurence as a user event, but what's the use of that? What I would like to see, is an occurence event!

Have you tried notifiers or queues? What is your opinion on that?

Have you tried notifiers or queues? What is your opinion on that?

occurences, notifiers and queues all have the global scope and are not tied to dataflow. For notifiers counts the same as occurences: why does the event structure not handle notifier events? It would be a great alternative for the wait on occurence/ notifier functions. I know the event structure is mostly meant for user (front panel) events, but NI has not been limiting it to just that.

It is not so much that I can't solve my coding problems, it just seems to me that implementation would become more eloquent and simple. Maybe they could develop a new structure for this; like a case structure that can process programmatic events of various kinds.

Can you add a link to the document you are referring to?

Start -> Programs -> National Instruments -> LabVIEW 7.1 -> LabVIEW -> Help -> VI, Function & How to Help ... -> Index -> (Type in the keyword to find) -> Generate Occurrence -> click "Generate Occurance" -> look in the right lower pane -> read :P

Okay, but what is your point? My suggestion in this thread is to have a notifier/occurence structure or a way to make an event structure act in stead of the wait on occurence function. Since they have a global scope, I do believe it is possible. Does this suggestion make any sense?

Okay, but what is your point? My suggestion in this thread is to have a notifier/occurence structure or a way to make an event structure act in stead of the wait on occurence function. Since they have a global scope, I do believe it is possible. Does this suggestion make any sense?

You can achieve the same functionality using user events. Create and register a user event to an event structure. Every time you'll invoke Generate User Event (instead of generate occurence) the event node will awake and receive the data. Indeed there could be a mechanism to register an occurence to an event structure but since occurences are rather obsolete and that user events do the job and are more versatile, I don't see the necessity of that feature.