Controls Groups without cluster frame.

Mike Ashe

I'd like to be able to put several controls into widely dispersed areas of a GUI, but because of their functional relations be able to group them as a "cluster" that did not have a frame/background. ie, a single terminal, like a normal cluster on the diagram, but on the front separate controls unless you double click on the terminal, in which case all of the controls in the group would highlight.

That would be a great feature, and it should have been available.

I sent in a suggestion to NI a long time ago to at least stop including the cluster frame in the tab navigation list, for the user of an application built in LV there is never, ever, a reson to highlight what is essensially a programmer's tool. As far as the GUI goes the cluster should not even exist.

... As far as the GUI goes the cluster should not even exist.

Hmm, with respect, I have to disagree. There are many times where I have found it to be a great advantage to have clusters, including frames, like I want to setup a fairly complex control set, that I will reuse, especially one where I have put a picture control or other graphic item as the background, then had other buttons and menus grouped with it. The I write a set of method/property VIs for the cluster, ... that has been very useful.

Interestingly, it is that same scenario that caused me to want to have the separate, non-framed cluster. It all depends on whether the needs of the project/GUI and user workflow require the controls to be closely spaced or separate, spatially, on the GUI.

Either way, I wish it was my choice/option.