Can't figre out how to get Input and Out into/from subVI

temp409x

Hi,

I'm very new to LabView and kinda don't even want to ask such a basic questions but I tried searching, experimenting and researching and cant figure it out so......

I have a VI i made that opens a usb device, sets the baud rate, data characteristics, all by addressing the device with its driver via a unique handle (u32).

What I want to be able to do is bring that VI into a different program so when I need to init my device I just run this subVI and then it passes the handle to me as output so I can read and write bytes.

So basically what I want is just one output from my subVI. I looked at the subVIs this company provides and its really really simple and it has one input and output. I can NOT figure out how to get mine to have that. I included a pic (sorta)

Thanks!

post-3725-1135100475.png?width=400

THANK YOU!

Now, granted I am very new to LABView but my first impression is that it seems two different teams made this. One team did a really great job with the functionality and coding, inner workings, features.... The OTHER team however did the worst job of a user interface I have EVER seen in such a highend industry standard program that I am honestly in disbelief that its really as bad as it is, I keep thinking maybe I'm an idiot, or maybe my computer is messed up, perhaps my monitor is off, I don't know.

But there is NO excuse that every command the UI has is not listed in the program menu. NONE.

And the pop-out-but-cover-most-of-the-other-options-you-want-to-see feature picker is great too.

Sorry about that, had to let it out.

Thanks again for the help! I don't fel very dumb for not looking there, its completely a non intuitive place to put that option!

The OTHER team however did the worst job of a user interface I have EVER seen in such a highend industry standard program.

But there is NO excuse that every command the UI has is not listed in the program menu. NONE.

And the pop-out-but-cover-most-of-the-other-options-you-want-to-see feature picker is great too.

Most of the LV interface became very intuitive to me once I got used it and disabled all the "help" like just-in-time advice and the express palette view. The big rule is "when in doubt, right click". Even so, there are many options you will never guess are there and are not really documented.

LVs menus do tend to be a bit annoying and NI does have a rather disturbing habit of rearranging them occasionally (like in LV 8). I'm not sure whether every option needs to be in the menus, but I've never designed a program with so many features, so I don't know.

And if you switch to the classic palette view, things should hide less of your window space (mostly).

THANK YOU!

Now, granted I am very new to LABView [...snip...]

Thanks again for the help! I don't fel very dumb for not looking there, its completely a non intuitive place to put that option!

No problem, welcome to LAVA and the world of LabVIEW (not LABView), which stands for Laboratory Virtual Instrumentation and Engineering Workbench.