Hi everybody. Does anybody knows how to read a text file with Unicode encoding. I am trying to write a multilingual VI, but for some languages (as Russian, German, etc.) I can not read the correct characters as with the Wordpad application.

Happy New Year for all the members of this forum!!!!! :beer: :beer:

LabVIEW does not support this directly. You will probably need to call external code to achieve this.

FWIW, I talked to NI about this some time ago. They recognize it as a problem and there are steps being taken to address it.

They were unclear as to what those steps were, but at least they are working towards some sort of improvement.

B.

FWIW, I talked to NI about this some time ago. They recognize it as a problem and there are steps being taken to address it.

They were unclear as to what those steps were, but at least they are working towards some sort of improvement.

The biggest problem is that Unicode is not Unicode. While Windows uses 16 bit Unicode most other systems use 32 bit Unicode characters. So having a platform independant Unicode library is almost an impossibility. If you don't believe me you should checkout the Unicode support that had to be implemented in Wine in order to support 16bit Unicode on 32 bit Unicode Unix platforms.

This whole issue is even more complex when you consider wanting to read Unicode coded data files in a platform independent manner. Basically I would consider this almost impossible because you would have to support both 16 bit and 32 bit Unicode on all LabVIEW platforms.

What I'm suspecting the NI solution will be is a Windows only Unicode function library for creating, saving, and reading Unicode strings. With a little work this can already be done with a Call Library Node calling Win32 APIs, as they do all the nasty work for you. I posted a while back a library to the NI forums to convert to and from Windows Unicode strings calling those Win32 APIs. Last time I checked the link to is was:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...uireLogin=False

Rolf Kalbermatter

Rolf Kalbermatter