Event Data missing (broken) for User Event Callback VI

Jim Kring

A while ago, I posted an example of using Callback VIs to handle Dynamic User Events. It seems that LabVIEW does not pass the User Event data, as it does for VI Server and ActiveX events -- basically my example is broken. Is this a bug in LabVIEW 8.0 or did NI take this feature away?

If you open in LabVIEW 8.0 and (1) delete the broken wire and (2) right-click on the Register Event Callback node to Create Callback VI, you will notice that the newly created Callback VI is missing the User Event Data. Please, NI, tell me that this is a bug and will be fixed in 8.0.1.

CAR#: 3TGB7CSQ

Well, I'm glad to hear that it's a bug rather than some strange attempt from NI to remove functionality. It's a shame since this is a useful function for implementing some powerful design patterns.

btw, is it me or is this the buggiest LV release yet?

It seem like this to me as well. We will should expect 8.01 soon (hopefully).

PJM

Well, I'm glad to hear that it's a bug rather than some strange attempt from NI to remove functionality. It's a shame since this is a useful function for implementing some powerful design patterns.

btw, is it me or is this the buggiest LV release yet?

There could be a lot of things going on. It certainly depends on how you measure bugs. For example, you might look at any of the following:

1) Number of New Bugs Total

2) Number of New Bugs per Total Software Features

3) Number of New Bugs per New Software Features

4) Number of New Bugs Reported on LAVA

Since the number of new software features in LabVIEW has grown significantly with the release of LabVIEW 8.0, I wonder about how much #3 has grown.

Certainly #4 is growing rapidly. But, the number of posts in the LabVIEW 7.1 Buglist is 51, and the number of posts in the LabVIEW 8.0 bulist is only 25. So, maybe 8.0 is only 49% as buggy as 7.1 :laugh: Of course, there has been a lot more time to find the bugs in 7.1 -- it would be interesting to see the number of posts verses time in the bug forums.

• 1 month later...