Looking for VI which is capable to read and set I/O lines on a USB printer adapter.

Bart Lucas

We were about to integrate I/O over parallel port, but it seems that the latest pc's doesn't have onboard parallel ports anymore.

Since we would have it as easy as possible for the end-user to install (also for laptops), we were thinking at an 'USB parallel printer-adapter" and bought one from Belkin.

It works fine for connecting a printer, but I wasn't able to detect it from within LV.

Does anyone have a VI which is capable to read and set I/O lines on a USB printer adapter?

Greetz,

Bart

We were about to integrate I/O over parallel port, but it seems that the latest pc's doesn't have onboard parallel ports anymore.

Since we would have it as easy as possible for the end-user to install (also for laptops), we were thinking at an 'USB parallel printer-adapter" and bought one from Belkin.

It works fine for connecting a printer, but I wasn't able to detect it from within LV.

Does anyone have a VI which is capable to read and set I/O lines on a USB printer adapter?

Greetz,

Bart

Why not consider one of the lower cost USB I/O devices on the market? I know the USB to Parallel port adapters are ony ~$30, but there are some nice USB DAQ devices with 8 or more lines of digital I/O for $100 or less that include A/D, D/A and LabVIEW drivers.

I'd look at the LabJack, the EMANT300 or the Hytek iUSBDAQ products.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it me or is there just way too much interest in doing DAQ with the parallel port lately. What is the reason for this? I just don't get it...

Maybe some guys came out of a long winter sleep and still think things are done the way as in old DOS days, not wanting to understand that there are nowadays cheap ready to run hardware solutions that cost less than the material you would need to build your own (not to talk about the time you will need to build your own).

Rolf Kalbermatter