Re-use Front Panel

Kalle_76

Is it possible to use the same front panel for a number of different VI:s?

I would like to make a menu where the user clicks on different buttons to ‘navigate’ in the program. Some buttons tigers new front panels while others should change the appearance of the main front panel. I know I can use ‘Create->Property Node->Visible’ for each and every control/indicator but this would make a mess of the front panel during development. Is it possible to have different front panels during development and in the end have all VI:s use the same front panel?

I’m using LabView 8.0 with Application Builder

Thanks for your time / Karl-Johan

No! Vi have one Front Panel and one block diagram!

How your program user interface look is somthing else.

You can use many methode to manipulate your GUI.

take look at:Visiale and Position propertys, use of dialog subVis, tab control and sub panels.

Interesting. I would say maybe. It depends. Sort of.

You can use the same Front Panel in many VIs if you use it as a sub-panel. You can also now create X-controls and they can be used to create one UI that can be called by many different panels. Another thing you could do is have a UI VI that is called and transfers data to a launching VI (like a dialog that is called in many places or the configuration VIs for the Express VIs).

I am not sure just what you are trying to do, so I thought I would just throw a few things out there. Give some more details and we can help you narrow it down.

Hope that this helped,

Bob Y.

Thanks for your suggestions Bob.

About what I'm trying to do:

My problem lies in the user interface for a measurement software I'm developing. When the program start the user is presented whit a screen 'main window', at the right of the screen there is a menu. By clicking different buttons in the menu the user in presented whit 'prompt user for input' windows. But two of the buttons, 'collect new measurement' and 'view collected data', I would like to open in the main window. Form a user perspective, 'collect new measurement' and 'view collected data', changes the layout of the main window, no new window is triggered.

Thanks / Karl-Johan

If I understand you right, it look like a tab control with hidden tab is what you might be looking for.

PJM