programmatically change tab names

Joernh

Hi there,

can anybody acknowledge, that it is not possible to change the names of tabs programmatically during runtime?! My attempts failed. I'd also like to know if it's possible to add or remove tabsheets?

Thanks for Reply

Regards

Joern

When I try to rename a tab control's page "pagelabel" from the VI that contains the tab control I get this error:

"Error 1073 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in Untitled 1

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: This property is writable only when the VI is in edit mode,

or this method is available only when the VI is in edit mode."

Since a tab control looks like an Enum whose values are derived from the page labels, it doesn't suprise me very much that it works this way --- you cannot change an enum on the fly either. The same logic could be applied to adding or removing pages, since you cannot expect to add or remove values to an enumerated constant on the fly, you shouldn't expect to be able to do it to a tab control either.

FWIW, you should however be able to change it from another running VI just as long as the VI containing the tab control is not running.

When I try to rename a tab control's page "pagelabel" from the VI that contains the tab control I get this error:

Possible reason(s):

Since a tab control looks like an Enum whose values are derived from the page labels, it doesn't suprise me very much that it works this way --- you cannot change an enum on the fly either. The same logic could be applied to adding or removing pages, since you cannot expect to add or remove values to an enumerated constant on the fly, you shouldn't expect to be able to do it to a tab control either.

FWIW, you should however be able to change it from another running VI just as long as the VI containing the tab control is not running.

There is a way to change the tab captions. See enclosed example.

Wolfram

Download File:post-1013-1140005841.vi

Possible reason(s):

thanks a lot. Think you hit the nail on the head.

your example confused me since both properties of the tab-control are described as not changeable when the VI is running. But it works......

Hmph, learned something new. :thumbup:

It works because you are not replacing the enumerated value used as the page selector. You are just hiding it and instead displaying an independent (cosmetic) string in its place.

post-2800-1140012434.png?width=400

It works because you are not replacing the enumerated value used as the page selector. You are just hiding it and instead displaying an independent (cosmetic) string in its place.

This was an addition to LabVIEW 6.1 exactly because you couldn't rename a Tab in a TabControl. Making a TabControl behave like a RingControl instead was no option as that would have caused problems with backwards compatibility and in fact removed some functionality and ease of use from the TabControl.

Rolf Kalbermatter

....nevertheless, independent label and tab caption are properties described as not changeable during runtime (at least in the german manual), but maybe its a misstake.

Thank you all for replying..... :worship:

Best regards

Joern

....nevertheless, independent label and tab caption are properties described as not changeable during runtime (at least in the german manual), but maybe its a misstake.

In english version (7.1.1) I see this:

post-3266-1140021166.jpg?width=400

post-3266-1140021172.jpg?width=400

So looks like you may have a typo over there (or is that a typographischer Fehler?) :)

Joe (orko)