Dataloggers

Raymond Tsang

Do you have any recommendations or suggestions?

Don't know about air pressure; but I worked in an accredited calibration lab and we used Veriteq. These can be calibrated with FDA compliant tracability.

For various types of loggers, start at MicroDAQ to see what's available on the market. I've never purchased anything from them. Their list of offerings should help you find what you need.

The other option is to "roll your own" using FieldPoint and various transducers. This would likely be more expensive, but you could select the features that you need and setup a process control loop and manage heat/ventilation/humidity devices.

maybe you want to take a look at the "IBBLogger" which is free and availiabe for download on my homepage.

It's only in german right now, but it would be no problem to translate it.

Features:

- log up to 8 channels @ 1Hz directly into an access database

- it is working at 1kHz per Channel internaly, and averages the samples

- graphical display

- digital trigger

- save your "measurement" configuration

- export the logged data to a *.CSV-File

it's working with "allmost any" NI DAQmx-Hardware, so all you need is at least a NI-USB-6008

i am planing to bring out a new release in Q2/Q3 this year, where you can set the sample rate between 10 Hz and 1 Sample per Minute, set thresholds with digital output /stop measurement ...

there exist lots of sensors, from cheap to expensive, for temperature, humidity and preassure. if they provide a 0-10V output it should be working fine with my datalogger ...

best regards,

CB

Linux-compatible dataloggers :blink: ? This appears to limit your choices somewhat :( . The Veriteq that I mentioned uses an unpublished protocol, so you can't just read the serial port; you have to interface to their dll. You will likely have to find a logger with a published format and an interface you can readily connect to (RS232/Enet).

A quick Google of "LINUX Data Logger" returned links for data loggers I've heard of, but don't appear on the MicroDAQ line card.

picoTech

Pace Scientific

DATAQ

Good luck!

Thanks so much :worship: !

I went to MicroDAQ to have a look, but it seems there aren't any Linux-compatible dataloggers. As my computer runs on Linux, I think I have to use some Windows-emulating software like WINE. Do you guys know whether the dataloggers work with WINE?

Thanks in advance!

Raymond

Wine won't allow you to access plugin hardware or such. So I think it is not a good idea.

If you can't find a manufacturer that has native Linux drivers for its hardware, you have only two choices: Either you go with an intelligent external datalogger that interfaces to the PC over TCP/IP or serial and then you won't need to run Windows software in order to get it working, or you have a plugin DAQ hardware and then you need the according device drivers, but Wine can't be used as gateway for Windows kernel drivers and as I see their policy probably never will support a Windows kernel subsystem that could do that.

Rolf Kalbermatter