LabVIEW and DSL (Damn Small Linux)

Bryan

QUOTE(Bryan @ May 16 2007, 06:01 AM)

Yeah, I've thought of that. I haven't been able to get LabVIEW and other support applications I need to all install on DSL and run in RAM. I have 62+ machines that I'd like to have up and running the same application all at the same time. I don't really want to have to buy 62+ USB sticks to accomplish that task.

I'd really just like to get something up so that I can run a LabVIEW executable and install GE's "vmisft" software onto it (since my LabVIEW application depends on it to access the VME bus).

Inasmuch as I would like to do this in LabVIEW, I'm afraid I may have to go an alternative route and get some sort of linux-only solution where I have a linux C-application that does the features I'd need, which is essentially to receive, parse, execute and respond to commands I send to the computer over the network. Unfortunately, with my little knowledge of c-programming in Linux, I may have to consult one of our resident Linux gurus for help with this.

Well, I guess the 62+ USB sticks would be the cheapest solution in terms of both hardware and time investment. Installing a LabVIEW executable on that boot image makes everything even more feasable as a whole LabVIEW development environment might actually require some of the larger sticks, not to mention the legal licensing issues that would simply require you to buy one license per USB stick. As to the costs of a USB stick for test reasons I would bet that the ease of use of just plugin the stick, boot up the computer and start the test is going to be a real money safer after just two or three test runs of so many computers. I can not see where the cost for such a solution possibly can be a major showstopper, for a project that involves a military contract with very strict configuration control. If the additional one time investment of 30$ per system is to much I guess every minute spend on this forum to find an alternative solution will be already unproductive too.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(hooovahh @ May 17 2007, 03:46 PM)

If you're still confused send Bart an email, in my experience he's very friendly, and has even helped my company with random questions we had about DOS boot ables a while back.

Basically, you agknowledge excactly what I was thinking. It would be illegal in my case.

With the article, I ment the article Bart wrote a few years ago in a Dutch magazine.

Btw. This thread hasn't been about "LabVIEW and DSL" for a while now, so we might as well talk about BartPE...

Thanks,

Wiebe.