Greetings to all

Hello,

I heard about this Website through a LabVIEW Developer's Day I attended in Milwaukee, WI last week.

After signing up and receiveing the 'Welcome" PM fromt he Admin, I thought I would take his advice and post a short bit about myself.

I have been working With LabVIEW since 1995-1996, it was version 3.1 at the time. I remember taking the LabVIE Basics and Advanced Course in February of 1996, I still have the books!!!

I was Workign for Motorola at the time, and had just moving into a Test Engineering Group. I was a Tech in that group with the main responsibilties of Test System support (mostly hardware). While in that Group I was able to take over some of the assemblies and create tests using LabVIEW, Other int he group had built a decent User interface and we had several guidelines as to what we were able to do and not do. So my LabVIEW Exploring was somewhat limited. I never learning any other Programming Language in College so Most of my LabVIEW experience has been Trial and error and when at Motorola, asking a few other with a bit more knowledge.

I stayed at Motorola until I was laid off in 2003. The last 3 years while there I was in a group where I was not able to use LabVIEW much. When I left I think the group I was in still was using 6.0 or 6.1.

After 16 months of searching a landed a job at a smaller company. Here they had one Version of 6.0 FDS LabVIEW. the tests were very basic, the operator still read a procedure and operated Toggle switches ont he screen to run the DAQ cards.

I was tasked with making it better. Then they had 4 different assemblies that was tested that way (2 pair share a fixture) Now We are up to 11 Assemblies across 4 fixtures. The most the operator has to do is enter the Serial # and revision and the test runs itself. I am the Only Test Engineer here and the only one with LabVIEW knowledge. I guess that makes for good job security.

I have also taken a couple of RF based test written in WaveTesta nd Redid them in LabVIEW. I finally got them to Upgrade to 7.1.1 PDS with the SSP and we are now on 8.0.1. This is a where I like to be.

These forums will become very helpfult o tme when I get stumped and need to bounce an idea off someone. I also have posted ont he NI forums, but these are more geared at LabvIEw only, which is nice.

I have also used LabVIEW to creat other programs at home (gotta love that Home Clause) to help with some other tasks. funny thing is one of my Programs was for a hobby of mine but it keeps gettign feature creep or if I need to try out something, I use that as a base..

I am enrolled in the Intermediate LabVIEW classes to be taken later this month. then maybe if I feel confident i will take the CLAD. I am just not too sure yet.

Lastly, I live in a suburb of Chicago, with my Wife and 2 kids (3yr old Son, and 1 yr Daughter) which does not give me much free time. but that is okay..

Hi jdebuhr,

Welcome to LAVA. I must say that it surprises me that someone who has been using LabVIEW as long as you have would just now learn about LAVA. I hope you get a lot out of it and that we can all benefit from your dozen or so years of experience. The SNR around here is usually pretty good, although we also have our share of fun and off topic follies.

Cheers

G'Day jdebuhr and welcome! I think you'll find a lot of really useful stuff here on LAVA (if you're not into visiting the site every day, there's an excellent RSS component for Outlook that you can get - more info here). You'll also notice that we have a bit of fun right here in the LAVA lounge too. I'm in Farmington Hills (not far from Detroit), so if you're ever over this way, be sure to hit me up for a :beer: or two!

Hi jdebuhr,

Welcome to LAVA. I must say that it surprises me that someone who has been using LabVIEW as long as you have would just now learn about LAVA. I hope you get a lot out of it and that we can all benefit from your dozen or so years of experience. The SNR around here is usually pretty good, although we also have our share of fun and off topic follies.

Cheers

Thanks,

I guess even with all the years I have used LabVIEW I still feel limited in knowledge. Partly due to not being able to experiment and explore other functions (especially int he last 5 years)

I did not really get to use 7.1 until May of 2005. I look forward to learning and helping as I can on this Forum.

Thanks for all the 'welcomes'