Child windows

I have a vi I have been toying with in 8.0 that uses scripting to create a window with a graph on it and display it as a child window inside the parent I can do this with the child window vi's that I got from this site and others. However i found in one of the properties a proerty called FP.Open in window. under that property there is host window, bounds and parent window. I have tried to get this same vi to work using this property but it will not make it a child. I do not understand which vi should be the host and which should be the parent. I really do not understand this stuff and would like your help. This is just something I'm exploring and want to learn and it is nothing pressing, so give me all the feedback/drawbacks that you know of.

PS sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum

Download File:post-310-1150292083.vi

I have a vi I have been toying with in 8.0 that uses scripting to create a window with a graph on it and display it as a child window inside the parent I can do this with the child window vi's that I got from this site and others. However i found in one of the properties a proerty called FP.Open in window. under that property there is host window, bounds and parent window. I have tried to get this same vi to work using this property but it will not make it a child. I do not understand which vi should be the host and which should be the parent. I really do not understand this stuff and would like your help. This is just something I'm exploring and want to learn and it is nothing pressing, so give me all the feedback/drawbacks that you know of.

PS sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum

That is what you get when playing with forbidden toys ;-)

Sincerely I haven't used this method at all but the host window is the window handle of the window you want to be the parent of your VI. This handle is the platform specific window datatype such as HWND under Windows or WindowPtr under MacOS. As you can probably see it is not so much meant to embed VIs into other VIs (Subpanels do generally a good and often even better job in this) but to embed a LabVIEW frontpanel into a non LabVIEW window. That said I doubt you can embed windows across process bounderies so this method has probably mostly only limited value for some obscure projects NI has been working on.

Rolf Kalbermatter