Number of LabVIEW users

This question has been asked quite a few times in the past... but NI hasn't told till now how many licenses they have sold/ sell per year.

I have tried to get this number myself and failed.

THe closest you can get is take a look at the user ID pages on the NI Exchange.

Example

http://forums.ni.com/ni/view_profile?user.id=70065

The "70065" is the user ID.

Play around with that number to choose other registered users.

That does not tell you how many user there are, just how many are registerd with NI.

Ben

This question has been asked quite a few times in the past... but NI hasn't told till now how many licenses they have sold/ sell per year.

Ok. Then I have to make an educated guess. NI turn over was 572 million bugs last year. Let's assume that about 40% of this is from LabVIEW so we get $ 286M for annual LabVIEW sales. Then let's assume that each user pays an average of $1500 per year for NI. So we end up to something like 200 000 users. So I assume the real number lies somewhere between 100 000 - 400 000 LabVIEW users around the world.

Ok. Then I have to make an educated guess. NI turn over was 572 million bugs last year. Let's assume that about 40% of this is from LabVIEW so we get $ 286M for annual LabVIEW sales. Then let's assume that each user pays an average of $1500 per year for NI. So we end up to something like 200 000 users. So I assume the real number lies somewhere between 100 000 - 400 000 LabVIEW users around the world.

I would believe that number.

Ben

It is so hard to tell because I don't know what to count. If I used LabVIEW on one project 3 years ago, do I count as a user? If I am still using LabVIEW 5.1 today because the company does not see the need to upgrade, do I count? If I haven't purchased just LabVIEW in 5 years because I have an SSP subscription, do I count?

It is all so grey! :question:

Thanks,

Bob Young

To quote Dr. T and others, "The Software is the Sizzle, but the Hardware is the Steak". Can't say any more, but your estimate of 40% of revenue being from LabVIEW sales is high.