The Art of Creating Dynamic

crelf

Until a better location is proposed, I'll place my presenation here and if you give me a few days I'll start to post the examples too, like all my "Brat Code" VIs

Download File:post-208-1155567075.ppt

Ok, I just couldn't help myself. Here is the mouseover 'brat' just so you can see how it's done.

Download File:post-208-1155579925.zip

And for all that attended, thank you very much. I was overwhelmed by the turnout; people standing in the back and even sitting in the aisles.

EDIT:Modified zip to include Tool - Get Parent.vi {sorry for missing that one, ran into problems doing source distribution w/ LVLIB}

Ok, I just couldn't help myself. Here is the mouseover 'brat' just so you can see how it's done.

And for all that attended, thank you very much. I was overwhelmed by the turnout; people standing in the back and even sitting in the aisles.

Thank you for posting the smart cursor brat. I have been trying to recreate this since I saw your demonstration. I made a similar "brat" a while back that is less efficient because it polls the mouse position, so I wanted to give your version a spin. Unfortunately, you forgot to bundle "Tool - Get Parent.vi". I know this is just the indexing of the call chain as discussed in the session, but you might want to add it to the zip. My bigger gripe is that you have password protected "TRef Traverse for References.vi". I would REALLY like to see under the hood of this VI.

Thanks again for an insightful presentation.

Alan

Thank you for posting the smart cursor brat. My bigger gripe is that you have password protected "TRef Traverse for References.vi". I would REALLY like to see under the hood of this VI.

Gripe noted, and the post & zip file have been edited.

But as far as the Traverse Ref vi goes...

Look closer at the path of this VI. This is an NI vi that is packaged w/ LV for what I belive was the VI analyzer.

I had a great time presenting and I'm glad you enjoyed it and got something out of it.

Norm,

Great presentation!

I've also created a "brat" type vi similar to yours in the past that highlights controls with mouse enter/leave events. I noticed that your brat vi didn't have any color or highlight rules passed to it. Your demo showed a very elegant highlight; possibly a gradient highlight over the controls (I was far away from the screen so maybe it's my bad eyesight). I've tried applying high-lighting color rules to objects in the past; but they don't have a consistent "look" accross all of the colors. Would you mind sharing what you did?

Thanks

Milan Podhorsky

I've tried applying high-lighting color rules to objects in the past; but they don't have a consistent "look" accross all of the colors. Would you mind sharing what you did?

Well I hate to not take credit for something flashy, but unfortunately this is not a captain feature.

This was merely a side effect of using the "dialog" type controls along w/ the right type of "windows xp" style.

Gimme a sec while I whip this out....

Download File:post-208-1155654287.swf

Norm,

You rock! And I always avoided using dialog controls because I thought they were too bland!

Thanks.

Well I hate to not take credit for something flashy, but unfortunately this is not a captain feature.

This was merely a side effect of using the "dialog" type controls along w/ the right type of "windows xp" style.

Download File:post-208-1155654287.swf

Sheriff Bart: ...by the power invested in me by the Honorable Governer William J. La Petomaine, I herby assume the duties of the office of the sheriff in and for the town of Rock Ridge.

Minister: Gentlemen, gentlemen, do not let anger rule the day! As your spiritual leader, I implore you to pay heed to this good book and what it has to say!

<townsfolk shoot a hole in the minister's bible>

Minister: Son, you're on your own!

(excuse any mistakes - I just wrote that from memory :) )

• 1 month later...