Text-To-Speach, TTS, in windows

I was looking for some text to speech stuff myself recently. Did you find the "google" demos?

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

Bell has one too. But the link is currently broken.

My search led me to only a few working, commercial text-to-speech applications. I'm sure some of them could be incorporated into a LabView application one way or another.

There are several "open" text-to-speech projects. But I could not find any "wild" LV code incorporating any one of them.

A pure G implementation of this would be interesting. If one exists; I couldn't find it.

Hi!

I'm looking for a TTS, Text-to-speach, engine for LabView in windows. Had a look at the ms-agent but didnt like it.

Is there another TTS anywhere?

Cheers

This is really oh-so-easy under Windows. All Windows XP installations have the ActiveX support for the Microsoft Speech API (SAPI 5.1). The VIs in the zipfile posted by Jacendom have most all the functionality you'll typically need, though on quick inspection, the 'Speak' VI seems a bit cumbersome to me - every time it's called, it also goes through all the voice/volume/speechrate stuff as well. This should be broken out into separate VIs which pass the ActiveX refnum through.

For some reason I can't fathom, WinXP only ships with the 'Microsoft Sam' voice, which is pretty tedious to listen to - 'Sam' has a few 'speech impediments'. If you do some digging around MS's developer site, you should be able to find the free downloads for 'Mary' and 'Mike' - Mary is (IMO) the clearest of the bunch, and (under SAPI 4) was the default shipping voice with Windows 2000. If you want more voices, you can purchase other SAPI 5 compliant voices from AT&T, IBM ViaVoice, Cepstral, and others - Google on "SAPI5 compliant TTS voice". This is where you'll also find support for other languages, too.

Forget about Agent. Last I knew, it still depended on SAPI4 for its TTS abilities, and comes with a lot of extraneous baggage - little animated genies and such - if all you really want is TTS.

Happy mechanical talking!

Dave