GOOP Usage Poll

Pitty I can't select more than one option...

Yeah, I use a lot of different GOOP styles, too. Which one I use depends on the requirements and my mood. I am not sure how to answer the question of what percentage of my total development uses GOOP, but nearly every non-trivial application employs some OOP analysis, design, and implementation.

I am not sure how to answer the question of what percentage of my total development uses GOOP, but nearly every non-trivial application employs some OOP analysis, design, and implementation.
So I guess the answer is 100%
Pitty I can't select more than one option...
Yes, but that's not my fault. It's a limitation in the polling system.
So I guess the answer is 100%

Well, that still depends on the original question -- is the question what percentage of projects use OOP or is the question what percentage of your programming is OOP? My point is that there is a time and a place for OOP. I do not use OOP for every problem. For example, if I have to add two numbers together, I will not create a class called Numeric and implement an Add method. This is just too much effort for too little return.

Yes, but that's not my fault. It's a limitation in the polling system.

Bugger

...there is a time and a place for OOP.

I don't think that can be stressed enough, so let me reiterate Jim:

THERE IS A TIME AND A PLACE FOR OOP.

OOP is a tool, and just like how you can drive nails with the end of a wrench, a hammer is a much better idea. A word from the wise: please don't overuse OO - if you are considering using it, make sure you take the time to plan the architecture first, and then take the time to confirm it's still the most appropriate model.

THERE IS A TIME AND A PLACE FOR OOP

The time is now? The place is your harddrive? :)

Seriously though -- as much of an OOP advocate as I am, I agree. If you're building an app that isn't going to be used but once, or if you're just setting up to take a quick DAQ measurement, or any of a number of low level function VIs, you shouldn't be setting up a class. Too much work for too little return. OOP comes into play when:

* the app will be maintained and revised over time

* multiple developers are working concurrently on the app

* one developer develops, then hands off ownership to another developer

* the app is going to be bigger than some threshold, probably somewhere around 10 VIs, or whatever point it is that you can't hold the whole app in your mind simultaneously and need some structure to keep it together.

That having been said...

OO Programming is not the same as OO Design. And OO Design is eternal and universal. :)

The time is now? The place is your harddrive? :)

Seriously though -- as much of an OOP advocate as I am, I agree. If you're building an app that isn't going to be used but once, or if you're just setting up to take a quick DAQ measurement, or any of a number of low level function VIs, you shouldn't be setting up a class. Too much work for too little return. OOP comes into play when:

* the app will be maintained and revised over time

* multiple developers are working concurrently on the app

* one developer develops, then hands off ownership to another developer

* the app is going to be bigger than some threshold, probably somewhere around 10 VIs, or whatever point it is that you can't hold the whole app in your mind simultaneously and need some structure to keep it together.

That having been said...

OO Programming is not the same as OO Design. And OO Design is eternal and universal. :)

I feel that the decision of whether to employ OOP is mostly a matter of balancing effort with result. As the OOP tools continue to improve, I will be using OOP more often :-)