reentrant VIs

Hi Folks,

I am not really sure, what happens with System VIs, if you use them in a reentrant VI.

E.g. in my application I have a reentrant VI which handles the TCP/IP sending and receiving with the client. The VI is reentrant because it works in a multi connection server, which serves several clients.

The question is: Does the reentrant VI create it's own instance of the System VI, or can it happen - e.g. if the transmission is laggy - that one TCP Read VI blocks the other instances while waiting for the data? I have made several tests to figure that out and it seems that the answer is NO, but I would really like to be SURE with this ...

thx!

CB

The TCP functions run in parallell. We have servers made in LV that handle simultaneous uploads and downloads from hundreds of clients, the communication flows as it should.

If there was a need to set the VI to reentrant or it was impossible to allow parallell execution I think NI would either have made it into a subVI you could edit or they would have documented the lacking possibility of parallell execution (if not you would have seen tons of messages discussing it as a bug:-)).

Mads

Hi Folks,

I am not really sure, what happens with System VIs, if you use them in a reentrant VI.

E.g. in my application I have a reentrant VI which handles the TCP/IP sending and receiving with the client. The VI is reentrant because it works in a multi connection server, which serves several clients.

The question is: Does the reentrant VI create it's own instance of the System VI, or can it happen - e.g. if the transmission is laggy - that one TCP Read VI blocks the other instances while waiting for the data? I have made several tests to figure that out and it seems that the answer is NO, but I would really like to be SURE with this ...

thx!

CB