Polymorphic VI template may break a class

This has occurred to me a few times. If I add an empty polymorphic VI template (.vit) to a class that belongs to a library, everything seems to be fine at first glance. Later on it may occur, that LabVIEW spontanously decides that the class is broken, because it includes a polymorphic VI (the .vit template) that is not executable due to the fact that it contains no VIs (it's empty). LabVIEW behaviour is not consistent here, since it allows adding the template without breaking the class.

• 1 month later...
This has occurred to me a few times. If I add an empty polymorphic VI template (.vit) to a class that belongs to a library, everything seems to be fine at first glance. Later on it may occur, that LabVIEW spontanously decides that the class is broken, because it includes a polymorphic VI (the .vit template) that is not executable due to the fact that it contains no VIs (it's empty). LabVIEW behaviour is not consistent here, since it allows adding the template without breaking the class.

"polymorphic VI template" -- you mean you created a PolyVI (File>>New...>>Polymorphic VI) and saved it as a .vit? Why do you even create such a thing?

"polymorphic VI template" -- you mean you created a PolyVI (File>>New...>>Polymorphic VI) and saved it as a .vit? Why do you even create such a thing?

I'm mysterious in the ways I use LabVIEW :) Well, I think this bug was project specific as I've not seen it any more. The class doesn't in general break even though the polymorphic templates are not functional.

I'm mysterious in the ways I use LabVIEW :) Well, I think this bug was project specific as I've not seen it any more. The class doesn't in general break even though the polymorphic templates are not functional.

When you say "not functional" -- what exactly do you expect them to do? I've querried several folks, none of whom have ever even thought of putting a .vit extension on a polyVI. What would be the purpose? The fact that you can do it is just an artifact of being able to put any file extension on any VI.

I've querried several folks, none of whom have ever even thought of putting a .vit extension on a polyVI. What would be the purpose?

I'm with Aristos - I don't think you can call it a bug when it was never supposed to work in the way you're trying. I'm very curious as to just what you're trying to pull off here...