Info-Labview

Jacemdom

Salut.

Considering the constant flow of new users to the LAVA forum and the relative "quietness" of info-labview, i'm wondering if everyone just made the move from info-labview? Or are the info-labview users on vacation or just to busy...

If the info-labview list is to die of its natural end of usefulness, i have to say that i would never have been able to grow that far from where i started without it. :D

I will have succeeded when i'm no longer needed!

Salut.

Considering the constant flow of new users to the LAVA forum and the relative "quietness" of info-labview, i'm wondering if everyone just made the move from info-labview? Or are the info-labview users on vacation or just to busy...

If the info-labview list is to die of its natural end of usefulness, i have to say that i would never have been able to grow that far from where i started without it. :D

Excellent observation.

I also learned a lot about LbVIEw by monitoring that e-mail list.

If it does eventually go away, I suspect it will be due to two of its basic tenants.

1) Since it is user run and maintained, there is nobody pointing to it to bring in new participants.

2) Its "text only format" is sadly lacking when talking about a graphic language.

Ben

I still scan the index of the diegest version every-other day to see if there's anything remotely interesting that's worth replying too (due to this method, I'm often too late - someone's beat me to it) but I just can't sustain the time to watch both Info-LabVIEW and LAVA. Also, since the Info-LabVIEW search engine(s) are down (and have been for a long time now) and the LabVIEW FAQ has found a new home here at LAVA, I don't have a whole lot of time to be active in Info-LabVIEW anymore. I alluded to this in an email I sent to Info-LabVIEW a while ago (see below) but got flamed with (mostly) unjustified excuses on why Info-LabVIEW is better than anything else - I drafted an email reply which basically refuted all the things people sent me, but never sent it - I figured that people are going to hold on to Info-LabVIEW for all sorts of personal reasons, and far be it for me to try to talk them out of it :)

Subject: Don't get me wrong - I love Info-LabVIEW!

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:29:54 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, and most importantly, I'm a fan of Info-LabVIEW. Well, actually it's not Info-LabVIEW per se, but the daily meetings of really helpful people to discuss some great LabVIEW topics (sometimes technical, sometimes esoteric).

I posted last week regarding the migration to LabVIEW 8.0, and to get as much coverage as possible out into the world of LabVIEW, I did something that I don't generally like to do: I cross-posted. I posted the same message to Info-LabVIEW, the LAVA discussion forums and the NI Developer Zone Discussion Forums. As a member of all three, I then got three identical messages and had to track the replies across three separate forums (including another round of cross-posting). Whilst the outcome was more than successful (thanks to all who responded!), surely there is a better way.

I usually choose which forum I post to based on the following:

1) NI Discussion Forums: mostly basic questions, lots and lots of users - often difficult to wade through the "how-do-I-create-a-control-in-LabVIEW" questions. It's an important forum, and is definitely useful to new comers to LabVIEW. There's also heaps of advanced stuff there if you're willing to put in the time to

look for it.

2) Info-LabVIEW: my old favorite, been there for a long while (longer than I've been using LabVIEW). Info-LabVIEW's biggest plus is the people - we've got uber-gurus here that can not only answer just about any question, but can effectively think outside the box and help you weigh up the pros and cons between different solutions. It's not particularly feature-rich (no real tread tracking, can't attach images/VIs/anything).

3) LAVA User Group Forums (http://forums.lavausergroup.org): my new favorite - I've been a LAVA user for a few years now and my impression is that it's Info-LabVIEW on steroids (the legal kind, I'm sure). The people there are great (I'm pretty sure they are the same people as here :) , messages are categorized, threaded and rich. In fact, we often see people post to Info-LabVIEW with a link to a corresponding crosspost with attachments on LAVA.

My point is (you probably already know where I'm going with this) is I'm not sure why we're all still using Info-LabVIEW when the LAVA discussion forums exist. As the subject of this email says: "Don't get me wrong - I love Info-LabVIEW!", it's been amazingly helpful to me over the years, and I can't describe how much I appreciate what's come out of it and those who have administered it over the years. But in the end, it's just a format - and I know that it's not the format that makes a forum, it's the members, but improving the format sure helps with the dissemination of information. I know that there have been efforts in the past to modernize Info-LabVIEW, and plenty resisted because they liked the digest version, but LAVA has that functionality and more.

We've had two parallel forums with pretty much the same content for a while now - isn't it about time to start making the transition and let the old one close with the dignity it deserves?

Regards,

Chris

I still scan the index of the diegest version every-other day to see if there's anything remotely interesting that's worth replying too (due to this method, I'm often too late - someone's beat me to it) but I just can't sustain the time to watch both Info-LabVIEW and LAVA. Also, since the Info-LabVIEW search engine(s) are down (and have been for a long time now) and the LabVIEW FAQ has found a new home here at LAVA, I don't have a whole lot of time to be active in Info-LabVIEW anymore. I alluded to this in an email I sent to Info-LabVIEW a while ago (see below) but got flamed with (mostly) unjustified excuses on why Info-LabVIEW is better than anything else - I drafted an email reply which basically refuted all the things people sent me, but never sent it - I figured that people are going to hold on to Info-LabVIEW for all sorts of personal reasons, and far be it for me to try to talk them out of it :)

I too scan the digest version, as I have for several years now. That usually means I don't contribute very often, and I was ok with that. But I find myself better able to track and keep track of information with LAVA, and have started spending most of my time here as a result. I think info-labview will continue to exist, as it has for years, but I believe that many posts and posters will find thier home here at LAVA.

I also have been getting the digest version of IFLV for a long time and therefore am always one clock cycle behind. I found it invaluable when I was first starting out in LabVIEW and I tried to contribute a lot in the late 1990's. I find that most of my time for such things is now spent on LAVA, but I would still hate to see IFLV go away anytime soon. The text only format can be nice at times and is readable on a PDA or cell phone. Trying to run a browser on a PDA gives me eyestrain.

If IFLV ever does go away I hope that all the years of posts can be archived somewhere, preferably here at LAVA so that they are not lost to posterity. It would be a shame if all that help and history was lost.

Salut.

<

Maybe the server is down or slowly tumbling away. I posted this message on info-lv at the same time and i did not receive it...

If IFLV ever does go away I hope that all the years of posts can be archived somewhere, preferably here at LAVA so that they are not lost to posterity. It would be a shame if all that help and history was lost.

I whole-heartedly agree. It'd be even better if there was some automated method of assimilating the old posts into LAVA. Then again, we're getting waaaaaaay ahead of our selves here :D

I consider discussions about IFLV such as: "is the server down?" or, "is it still usefull?" and such stuff as "filler". I mean, if you have nothing else to talk about then I guess it's ok. It reminds me of "virus warning" emails. Rest assured, there are hundreds and maybe thousands of people reading IFLV. There are also people working behind the scenes, monitoring the mail server and responding to technical issues. As has been stated before, IFLV is an alternate venue for discussions about LabVIEW. You don't necessarily have to pick one or the other. Heck, why not even read the NI forums if you so fancy? :) Searchview is also back up and running, which means archived IFLV is there if you want it.

This topic is definitly one of those things that belongs as an article in the knowlege base under FAQ's...

Searchview is also back up and running, which means archived IFLV is there if you want it.

Nope - the page just says "Coming soon!"

This topic is definitly one of those things that belongs as an article in the knowlege base under FAQ's...

If you write it in the Knowledge Base, I'll add it to the FAQ :P

• 4 weeks later...