[CR] Example - Create a Polymorphic VI

hi

Is it possible to have a 7.0 version of your Vi ? Please

I have only FDS 7.0 and not PDS. Can I create polymorphic Vi too ?

Regards

Eric :)

Sorry,

Its not possible to use my example in LV 7.0. NI didn't add support for this capability until LV 7.1. Take a closer look at this post (which you also posted in) for more information. Specifically take a look at the first couple of posts.

EDIT:

Well, now that I've tried it, it does work. I'll add the LV 7.0 version to the CR later today. Sorry I jumped to conclusions and assumed it wouldn't work.

Hi Chris

I have test your Vi's in 7.0 and find 2 bugs (1 minor and 1 major)

The minor is that you don't test if "Create numeric control.vi" exist before delete it.

Like at the first run it don't, then that crash.

The major : when ,after creation , you put the ""Create numeric control.vi" in another new Vi, and right click on it , LABIEW stop and close immediately

Without warnning.

If see on my precedent post on "+create polymorphic Vi programmaticaly" discution you can see have the same problem .

In fact it's normal because i have used your Empty polymorphic Vi to creat the template of the "Creat poly instances 7_0.llb" software.

I think than Empty polymorphic Vi is corrupt for 7.0 or there is special information inside (tag?) who creat that to forbid to use it if you have only PDS.

Tnt have testing one slamp of polymorphic vi create with "Creat poly instances 7_0.llb" software and tell me that run ok in 7.1.1 and don't see the problem.

Is it possible to create another Empty polymorphic Vi for testing it?

Have you creat this template with FDS 7.0 or FDS7.1.1 (and back convert it in 7.0)

Regards

Eric :)

The minor is that you don't test if "Create numeric control.vi" exist before delete it.

Sorry about that, I've made an update to correct that.

The major : when ,after creation , you put the ""Create numeric control.vi" in another new Vi, and right click on it , LABIEW stop and close immediately

Without warnning.

If see on my precedent post on "+create polymorphic Vi programmaticaly" discution you can see have the same problem .

In fact it's normal because i have used your Empty polymorphic Vi to creat the template of the "Creat poly instances 7_0.llb" software.

I think than Empty polymorphic Vi is corrupt for 7.0 or there is special information inside (tag?) who creat that to forbid to use it if you have only PDS.

Tnt have testing one slamp of polymorphic vi create with "Creat poly instances 7_0.llb" software and tell me that run ok in 7.1.1 and don't see the problem.

Is it possible to create another Empty polymorphic Vi for testing it?

Have you creat this template with FDS 7.0 or FDS7.1.1 (and back convert it in 7.0)

I can open the Empty Polymorphic VI just fine on my computer. I'm not willing to call the behavior you are seeing a bug, because it seems to be dependent on the fact that you have a FDS copy of LabVIEW. There may very well be a piece of code in the FDS that prevents users from editing a polymorphic VI, and causes LabVIEW to shut down in the process. I don't have a FDS copy of LabVIEW to even begin to debug this with. I also believe that you (and consiquently I) are getting into a legal gray area with what you are trying to do with my example. I'm not going to remove my CR entry, but I will ask you to stop the effort to try and add polymorphic VI capability to your FDS of LabVIEW. If you really need that capability please consider upgrading to the Developer Suite, or the PDS version of LabVIEW. That being said, I have provided this example as an example of what could be done, and you can explore other possibilities at your own risk.

BTW, I added unique icons to each polymorphic subVI so that it matches the type of numeric control that the subVI will create in a scripting environment.