run executable before installation?

I need an installer that will remove an existing .exe installation (one .exe and one .ini file) and then install an exe with a different name in a differently named C:\Program Files\AppX directory, and copy the original ini file to the new dir. (I'm supposed to do it in LV 7.1 but 8.2 would be ok.)

If I build an installer with the same product code as the original and make the user go throught the two pass uninstall, install procedure everything works except the original .ini file is deleted before I have a chance to "run executable after installation" to copy over the file. In this scenario I need a "run executable BEFORE installation."

Do I need to get a professional installer package or is there a way to do this with the LabVIEW installers? I see there's a package builder from OpenG, not sure how it works.

I don't know if you can do this with an installer, but since you already have the RTE installed, you can write a small LV application which would do what you want and then launch your installer. If the INI file is the same name as the EXE, then you would also need it to rename the INI file and the section inside it.

Additionally, even if you don't have the RTE installed, you can run an LV application without installing the RTE if it's a simple application and you have the RT DLLs in the same folder as your EXE (Just get the files from NI\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time).

I need an installer that will remove an existing .exe installation (one .exe and one .ini file) and then install an exe with a different name in a differently named C:\Program Files\AppX directory, and copy the original ini file to the new dir. (I'm supposed to do it in LV 7.1 but 8.2 would be ok.)

Or you could do some start-up check (maybe INI-controlled) that will trigger you app to remove the old program and copy the new one to the right location. Shutdown your app and restart your app...

Maybe best is to use a different named ini file? app-settings.ini or something

Ton