Change color of cluster elements on limit checking question

peteski

Folks,

Here is a request I had recently, and I wanted to inquire if anyone here could lead me to a more elegant way to implement this. I have the need to change the color of an individual display in a cluster based on whether it is within limits or not. This was my recent "quick and dirty" solution. What I really wanted to do is to try to pass a reference of the whole cluster to the subvi instead and parse at the subvi level, but I couldn't seem to get down to the individual background colors of the indicators in the cluster. The approach I came up with works, and I'm willing to stick with it if I have to, but feel there ought to be a better way.

I'd be happy if somebody showed me how to "gracefully" get from the cluster reference down to an individual indicator's "NumText.BGColor", and I could work out the rest. Better yet, If someone pointed me to where in the myriad of LabVIEW manuals such information might be, I'd be quite excited to go there and RTFM!!

BTW, This is LabVIEW 7.1.1, and for this project I am NOT going to 8.XX.

Well, at least that is what I say for now...

Thanks in advance!

-Pete Liiva

Download File:post-2931-1163618527.llb

Well if you have LV 8.x you have the property browser/searcher (ctrl-shift-B on windows)

This is searchable per structure so you could have found it there.

What I normally do is just browse the properties of the structure I want to change, be aware that in the case of clusters you need to get the clustere elements (like Ben showed), in the case of arrays you need to the element type, but be aware that anything you do on the element type will infect the whole array.

Ton

be aware that in the case of clusters you need to get the clustere elements (like Ben showed), in the case of arrays you need to the element type, but be aware that anything you do on the element type will infect the whole array.

Thanks Ton, I was aware of this, which is why I went to doing the cluster thing over the array in the first place. Thanks everybody, I'll be putting this to use in my next "release".

-Pete Liiva