Remote panel control of excel

Hi,

I posted this in the code repository and I was told to post it here instead. I have a problem that Im trying to figure out. How do I open up an instance of microsoft excel on the machine that is remotely controlling the server. I have figured out how to make the remote panel open excel, but it only opens up on the server machine, not on the machine that is remotely controlling the server. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

jdoggers

Hi,

I posted this in the code repository and I was told to post it here instead. I have a problem that Im trying to figure out. How do I open up an instance of microsoft excel on the machine that is remotely controlling the server. I have figured out how to make the remote panel open excel, but it only opens up on the server machine, not on the machine that is remotely controlling the server. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

jdoggers

What you need is an ActiveX container that can hold excel. I am not ware of such a container, maybe a search on embedded excel? It looks like MS is doing it when you add a workbook into word and edit that... Maybe that is the idea to go

Ton

The ActiveX container for Excel is called Microsoft Office Spreadsheet, but I'm not sure whether remote panels display stuff which is inside ActiveX containers.

You should consider that the entire point of a remote panel is only to view a remote panel, not to do stuff on the viewer.

Knowing who the controller is is fairly simple with the Application class properties, so I can think of 2 options -

1. If Windows has the ability to launch executables on remote computers (if you have the proper permissions) then you will be able to do that through the System Exec VI. You will need to search to see whether Windows supports this.

2. You can have a VI which will run on the viewer and will wait for a connection from the controlled VI. Once the controlled VI detects a controller it will form a connection to the controlling computer and will tell it to open Excel when the time comes. Of course, this complicates things, since you're not only viewing.