Legos for Engineers

JDave

David,

Looks nice, I think you have to get Ben into this. If i'm right he will digg this!

Ton

I am too predicatble!

In this thread I go on for pages talking about my model railraod.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...3&jump=true

Here is a wide angle shot that includes the scratch built controller layout and the LabVIEW application that controls it.

post-29-1164913691.jpg?width=400

It is an N-scale (eg an N-Scale coal car is about as long as a four post LEGO block ) layout that is theoretically capable of handling 11 trains at the same time (after I code up the collision avoidence functionality). The most we can do now is three, and I say "we" because I can only handle two but my partner in crime can keep three going.

Ben

Those sets are amazing. I am apparently not into trains quite enough.

My train was a fun object to create, though. I like the duplos because when I am done I have a 3' high object. I set my baby inside of the cab! Can't do that with the little legos (or those model trains, BTW) :P

Working at a rail rolling stock company I am very interested, especially in the security system you are planning to implement?

Unfortunately, I didn't get the security system installed in time...

post-1519-1164990493.jpg?width=400

Though I don't think any security system would work against the combined efforts of a 4-year old and a 2-year old.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the security system installed in time...

post-1519-1164990493.jpg?width=400

Though I don't think any security system would work against the combined efforts of a 4-year old and a 2-year old.

I love it!

First they have to learn how to take things apart....

War story time:

When I was a teenager, my partner in crime (mentioned above) detroyed two perfectly good reel to reel tape decks in an attempt to build a variable delay "echoplex". To this day there is a running joke that comes up anytime we open a chassis that goes "Look out, they are going to make it BETTER".

At least the chimbley survived (BTW the chimbley design introduced in the Rocket revolutionised the steam engine by creating a forced air draft through the fire box)

Ben

Chris,

Pass along compliment to your brother from me. My father and brother do HO and G-scale)