translating VIs from 6.1 to 8.2

Solitas

Somehow at work, all at once, I managed to score both my own brand-new copy of 8.2 (full dev.) and a SONY VAIO 2Ghz laptop (XP-home edition). ("Ahhh, it's good to be alive!" ~ 'Mad Dan' Eccles)

Now my plan is to wipe the machine, re-image it with its XP/Home restoration discs, put in my PCMCIA cards (DAQ-AI-16XE-50's), load-up 8.2, and start bringing-in all my VI's from LV6.1.

Question: what am I in for in the way of translation problems, going from 6.1 to 8.2? All of my work is pretty straightforward data collection and analysis with no instrument control or networking or remote access stuff, but I'm sure there will be changed functions & etc. when making such a big jump in software versions.

Is everything pretty much the same (as far as functions) or have things changed enough that I'll have to rework sections of my VIs? All my work has been in 6.1 (have been using 6.1 about 4 years now) and this 'instant upgrade' was so unexpected that I haven't even had a chance to demo 8.2 (8.2 will be totally new to me) - am I in for as big a job as I fear I'll have?

Thanks for any help. –

Is everything pretty much the same (as far as functions) or have things changed enough that I'll have to rework sections of my VIs? All my work has been in 6.1 (have been using 6.1 about 4 years now) and this 'instant upgrade' was so unexpected that I haven't even had a chance to demo 8.2 (8.2 will be totally new to me) - am I in for as big a job as I fear I'll have?

The autotool works much better in 8.2. That nervous twitch in your mouse hand that you've developed over the last 4 years to hit *exactly* the right spot to get the right tool may now be a liability instead of an asset. :P

Kidding aside, I don't think you should have much problem moving your VIs forward. Your biggest barrier will probably be what most folks have complained about -- the palettes got a serious reorg in 8.0.