Displaying a Revision Number

insight

Is there a slick way to display the application's revision number?

I have yet to find one. You can access the main vi's revision number in the development environment and display it, but this number reverts to 0 once the vi becomes part of an application. There's an auto-(or manually)-incremented revision number as part of the application builder, but I can't see a way to grab it for display once the EXE is running.

Right now I'm displaying the month-day-year (i.e. Rev. 11-08-06) at the end of title bar by reading the EXE's modified date, but I'd like to use a real revision number. I could read one from my .ini file, but that's a pain to make sure it's always correct.

I've searched the ni forums on this with no luck.

I have yet to find one. You can access the main vi's revision number in the development environment and display it, but this number reverts to 0 once the vi becomes part of an application. There's an auto-(or manually)-incremented revision number as part of the application builder, but I can't see a way to grab it for display once the EXE is running.

Right now I'm displaying the month-day-year (i.e. Rev. 11-08-06) at the end of title bar by reading the EXE's modified date, but I'd like to use a real revision number. I could read one from my .ini file, but that's a pain to make sure it's always correct.

OpenG Builder has the capability to read a software version number from a configuration file and write this to a front panel control (cluster of version, date). OpenG Builder is the ogrsc_builder package which you can download using VI Package Manager. It can be launched from the menu at Tools>>OpenG Builder...

post-17-1170777088.png?width=400

I have found two versions of this on the NI Forums, one that uses dll calls to the Windows API and one that uses .NET calls. The second can be found at http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/935...625711E0055F1FA

I prefered the first, since I didn't want to depend on my customers having the proper .NET framework installed. Unfortunately, I can't find a link to it at the moment. I have my own slightly customized version, that I could probably package up for you if you want, though.

Regards,

Dave T