Time to install 8.2?

orko

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Mar 10 2007, 10:57 AM)

Maybe your question and assumption are related...

lips_sealed.gif

Yes, well that's partly why I was asking, esp since another post indicated that -- except for LVOOP "intensive" operations -- v8.2.1 already seems pretty robust. I would guess that means pretty robust in XP but ??? in Vista...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Val Brown @ Mar 10 2007, 10:00 PM)

I would guess that means pretty robust in XP but ??? in Vista...

As far as I know XP software run unmodified in Vista with the exception of device drivers. That is the same stability should be achieved to base operations but problems may arise with instrumentation. So if you intend to write measurement software or something similar, I recommend to keep you hands away from Vista. If you just want to use LabVIEW as a programming tool, then I recommend you to... keep you hands away from Vista :D But the latter is not due to LabVIEW.

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Mar 10 2007, 05:07 PM)

As far as I know XP software run unmodified in Vista with the exception of device drivers.

Untrue. The necessary modifications to make LV run in Vista -- just the LV editor environment -- is a list several tens of pages long. Many applications are having to make significant changes to comply with new security regulations and installer behaviors.

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Mar 11 2007, 01:13 AM)

Untrue. The necessary modifications to make LV run in Vista -- just the LV editor environment -- is a list several tens of pages long.

Doesn't MS's famous backward compatibility (WoW in Vista) which still allows you to run DOS programs on modern versions of Windows allow you to run most XP programs without problems (as long as you don't have to deal with hardware)?

I'm assuming that's what Tomi refered to and not the changes that will be needed to make the IDE itself fully "Vista compatible" or whatever it's called.

I don't remember who it was, but one blogger gave the example of being able to run a program they wrote in 1983 or so on XP or Vista simply by running the executable.

QUOTE(yen @ Mar 10 2007, 05:48 PM)

I don't remember who it was, but one blogger gave the example of being able to run a program they wrote in 1983 or so on XP or Vista simply by running the executable.

The bits of old programs themselves work and call OS APIs that exist. That doesn't mean that the application conforms to the installer security requirements, standard directory names, and the UI standards of the new OS.