Do Re-entrant VI Clones Negate Need for the VI Template?

Hi:

I was wondering whether re-entrant VI clones, newly introduced in LabVIEW 8, negate the need to launch parallel VI instances that need to show front panels from a VI template. I have yet to try this new feature and figured that my experimentation would save some frustation by tapping from the experience of other LabVIEW users.

Thanks

Anthony L.

QUOTE(alukindo @ Apr 2 2007, 07:06 PM)

Jim Kring:

Thanks for pointing me to that article. I had yet to compile an executable and have just realized that the *.vit file could not be readily added to the project.

Anthony L.

I'm glad it helped. BTW, you can add a VIT as a subVI of another VI (or add all your VITs as subVIs of a VI called "All Dynamic VIs.vi" or similar) and then add this VI as a dynamic VI of your build. Hopefully this will let you build your EXE.

Also, if your end deliverable is an EXE, it's best to create your build rule early and try to make sure that your application is always working in both source and EXE form. This is a lesson that most learn the hard way.

Cheers,

CITATION(Jim Kring @ Apr 3 2007, 04:13 AM)

Also, if your end deliverable is an EXE, it's best to create your build rule early and try to make sure that your application is always working in both source and EXE form. This is a lesson that most learn the hard way.

I second Jim in this recommendation ! I am part of those who learn this the hard way :(

There are lots of tools & materials that will help you developping code that works the same both in source and EXE ; time spent to learn about these tools will be well-invested ;)