What did the tortoise hide in its shell?

Some, right-click drag and drop options, of course.

(Get it? It's a Window shell extension joke... TortoiseSVN is a Windows shell extension... oh, nevermind)

The number of LabVIEW users mentioning subversion and TortoiseSVN has been increasing steadily, so I figured that I would start blogging about them, occasionally. I really love these tools and I don't know how I would manage without them.

I posted this question to Jim's blog but let's post it here as well.

I considered moving to subversion. I asked our IT department if we already have a subversion service running. I was told that yes we do but there is a flaw in subversion and you should consider using another product. This flaw turned out to be a fact that subversion doesn’t support renaming files but instead files get copied and the original gets deleted. Does anybody have experience on the practical implications of this flaw in LabVIEW development.

Second issue I’d like to raise is the fact that LabVIEW requires all the files to be renamed or moved in LabVIEW so that links between files don’t get meshed up. This is especially important when using LabVOOP. On the other hand I think subversion requires files to be renamed or moved in subversion so that the revision history doesn’t get meshed up. How these two programs interact in this respect.

Third issue I’d like to raise up is the fact that LabVOOP requires often recompiling the whole project. As a result each file in the project, even the files you didn’t edit, gets changed. How does this affect the usage of version control software.

Tomi

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Apr 3 2007, 08:10 AM)

I posted this question to Jim's blog but let's post it here as well.

Tomi: I've got to run, but I'm going to try to respond to these questions later. They're great questions and deserve more than a hurried response.

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Apr 3 2007, 07:33 PM)

Tomi: I've got to run, but I'm going to try to respond to these questions later. They're great questions and deserve more than a hurried response.

Perhaps you can write an article on the subjects. I'd be very interested in special issues on managing LabVOOP projects with subversion.

Tomi