Does math turn you on?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI10VCZYjas"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI10VCZYjas" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

How about a LabVIEW program that finds the equation that results in the final answer. Shortest amount of time and fewest operations.

I've never seen that show before...that is definitely my kind of show! Just to get a clarification on the rules...you have to use all 6 numbers in your solution exactly once? And only simple operations (add, sub, mult, div) are allowed? The target number is anything between 0 and 999? What's the name of this show? Looks like it's an old show, and I'm guessing they have other categories on the show besides math (judging from the encyclopedia or dictionary on the host's desk).

Good stuff,

-D

P.S. - I've already written LabVIEW code that solves a puzzle like this, although simpler. I have a game called Numbers Challenge where you are given a card with 4 numbers between 1 and 9, and you have to try to reach the target number (anything between 0 and 20 is possible) using only simple operations and all 4 of the numbers on the card. I wrote a VI that proves that all targets between 0 and 20 are possible with every card. A math whiz gave me the game a long time ago, and I didn't believe him when he said any number between 0 and 20 was possible with every card...but LabVIEW proved he was right!

While we're on the subject of impressive game show feats, check out what Jimmy Carr does at the 8:15 mark of this video.

BTW, QI is a great show in general. I was rather surprised when I did this search to see just how much of it can be found on youtube.

QUOTE(yen @ Apr 4 2007, 12:40 PM)

I just had a chance to watch that one... I'm still chuckling, not only about the smartie-box impeded cat, but also the hounding of the host (who is on the show NCIS as Booth's shrink). Hullo? :laugh:

QUOTE(PJM_labview @ Apr 3 2007, 11:27 PM)

This game show has been going on in France for ever (apparently since 1972).

Glad to see that I'm still ( forever minus 1 ) years old. [now where's that old man smiley...?]

QUOTE(yen @ Apr 5 2007, 05:40 AM)

Stephen Fry cracks me up - some his his greatest (and worst) work was on "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" - check out "Where is the lid?" (yes, that's the guy that's the lead in the American series "House M.D."). They were both fantastic together teamed up with Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson in the BlackAdder series'.