Source Distribution fails

Mellroth

Hi,

I have a bunch of VI-tree's (remember this old way of grouping VIs), that I'd like to add to a project in LabVIEW 8.2.

The reason to keep the VI-Tree approach is that a user can get a graphical overview (i.e. Icon overview) instead of the listing used in the project explorer.

Anyway...

I tried to create a source distribution (preserve hierarchy) for all my VI-Trees, but as it turns out, the distribution only gives me the top-level VI's (no used sub-VIs are in the source build). It seems like the reason for this is that for a source distribution to go on and find all Sub-VIs, the top VI must be executable? (no VI's below a broken VI will be included in the source distribution).

Since the bad VI itself is added to the source distribution, but no subVIs, it means that the bad subVI might be linking to VIs outside the source distribution target

To require the top-VI (or any other VI) to be executable is fine as long as you are building an exe or dll, but for a source distribution this feels wrong.

In LV7.1.1, I could open up the VI-Tree and save with options, then all VIs, regardless of execution state, would be saved in the target folder (possibly changing passwords, removing diagrams etc.).

Workaround 1:

If I drag all VIs found on the block diagrams of the VI-Tree's to the project explorer, the distribution contains all sub-VIs found in the hiearchies of the the top VI's (VI-Tree).

This is not really a good way to do this, as I will have to manage both the VI-Tree and the project file to create a correct source distribution. At least compared to if I could only change the VI-Tree, and then just do a rebuild in the project file. This method will still fail, if any of the VIs are not executable

Workaround 2:

Open up all VI-Trees, then surround all VIs on each VI-Tree block diagram by a disable structure. At least this would give me the Top-level view, but VIs in bad execution state will still not be correctly included in the build.

This has been reported to NI, but I have no CAR# for this one yet.

/J

PS. I know I can choose "Save As..." to save a complete VI Hierarchy, but this doesn't give me the options to remove BD's, set passwords etc, i.e. what you get from using the Source Distribution. The Source Distribution is also much better as it allows me to save how I would like the build to be, adding support files etc.

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Apr 17 2007, 10:43 PM)

Why don't you use a diagram disable structure with in the not active frame all the VIs?

Ton

Hi Ton,

I had that as my workaround #2, but today I had time to do some more tests.

It seems like the Source Distribution fails to include any VIs embedded in a diagram disable structure (which would be a bug report of its own).

/J

• 3 weeks later...