[LabView 6.0] Use the gameport

Guedin

Hi there !

I ll introduce myself quickly . My name is Nicolas, I m french and i m doing an internship .

The company wants me to create a program in LabView wich will be launch by pressing a pedal . This pedal is connected to a PC gameport . So from the gameport, I only use the button ports . The pedal will be recognize like the button1 of my joystick . I dont care about the analog part

I m really novice in LabView, I only had a 3-hours training on this software at my university . So i started to search on the web :

There is what I founded on the gameport :

I know that the gameport use the byte at the adress 201h . The statut of the button1 can be read on the fourth bit .

It seems that I will have to use the In Port.vi but I dont really know to use it . If someone could help me it will be very nice

I m working on Windows 2000, and it seems the "In Port.vi" function doesn t work well on this OS because it can t access to the port . So I installed the AccessWH patch founded there . Is it a good thing ?

PS sorry for my bad english anf I hope that I didnt make a mistake to post in this section

QUOTE(Guedin @ Apr 26 2007, 04:53 PM)

The company wants me to create a program in LabView wich will be launch by pressing a pedal . This pedal is connected to a PC gameport . So from the gameport, I only use the button ports . The pedal will be recognize like the button1 of my joystick . I dont care about the analog part

We are not able to give you a LabVIEW training courses, but we can give you hints.

In this case the hint should be to go for the LabVIEW joystick functions. On the function palette click Search and type "joystick". You will then find the joystick functions. That's a much better way to access the joystick. It will also work for for example USB joysticks (the port I/O will not).

Joris

Thanks a lot for your answers . I told it to my boss and i m looking if someone have a license of LabView 7.0 or greater in a subsidiary of the company .

But for now I only have LabView 6.0 .

About my "joystick", I was thinking about something .

My "joystick" will be a pedal, wich I will have to make . It won t be buy so there isnt driver with it . I will just weld wire of my pedal on a gameport connector . That s why I thought I had to control the byte of the gameport, and can t ask window to detect my joystick

I hope i was clear enough . if not, you can ask me more details :rolleyes:

thanks !

Its Ok ! :thumbup:

I founded the solution by myself .

I install the accessWH patch to allow Window let me see the adress of the game port and I just installed a generic driver for joystick and now the "In Port.vi" function works perfectly !

Thx everybody for your help !