Trial version for Linux?

LvBg

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ May 16 2007, 11:50 AM)

No, there is no trial version of LabVIEW for Linux (or Mac OS X).

I'm assuming this is because the Linux and Mac OS X versions of LabVIEW don't use the licensing mechanism that was introduced with LabVIEW 8 for Windows. Since LV8, the fuctionality of LV on Windows is tied to the license that is installed. No license = trial version. Without the licensing mechanism, NI would have to create special versions of LV for Linux and Mac that were time/feature limited. So, does anyone know if the licensing stuff is coming to Linux and Mac?

You know, I think it's been a while since we've had a good licensing brouhaha. Multiple machine debugging, VISA serial distribution, forced toolkit upgrades, "Authorized Applications"! Who's with me? :P

QUOTE(lavezza @ May 17 2007, 04:48 AM)

You know, I think it's been a while since we've had a good licensing brouhaha. Multiple machine debugging, VISA serial distribution, forced toolkit upgrades, "Authorized Applications"! Who's with me?

Fight! Fight! Fight!

QUOTE(Eugen Graf @ May 16 2007, 07:23 PM)

It's a legal download. You can ask german labviewer.

Eugen

It is indeed legal but the text says "Commercial use not allowed!" This is a version of LabVIEW 6.1, fully authorised by NI, to be distributed with the German computer magazine ct, but with the limitation that it can not be used for commercial projects. The Windows version is on their DVD that comes with their 11/07 issue (it's a biweekly edition).

In my opinion this is the single best German computer magazine and has been so for almost two decades already. They never would do anything illegal, although they sometimes have articles about technical issues that could allow someone to use them for illegal activities, but at the same time it educates the reader about how to prevent such illegal activites too, and that is clearly the main aim for them.

Please note that it is just the plain FDS. Ni Toolkits, Application Builder, etc. which would be mostly things that go clearly into commercial use anyhow.

Rolf Kalbermatter