Get New Post doesn't work again

Oops, I had a rather busy week and it seems like more than 6 days since I made that remark. The thing is that this is a serious usability issue. It's not as obvious now because most threads don't get to be more than a single page.

Maybe we should just limit threads to 15 posts? I mean, if you haven't said it in 15 posts, it's probably not worth saying, right? ;)

Or maybe I should just change my settings to work with 50 posts a page?

QUOTE(yen @ Sep 23 2007, 08:02 AM)

Or maybe I should just change my settings to work with 50 posts a page?

I'm not an admin, so I can't tell you what to do, but if that solves your issues then I suggest you do it - even for the short term while Mike's working on a fix (or a removal :P )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

QUOTE (yen @ Oct 11 2007, 02:43 PM)

And fixed. Thanks. Back to :) .

I'm not sure if this is the same issue or a new one, but "View New Posts" isn't working quite right for me, I'm seeing all posts since a few days ago as new even though I've logged in and read posts several times since then.

QUOTE (ned @ Mar 13 2008, 08:15 AM)

I'm not sure if this is the same issue or a new one, but "View New Posts" isn't working quite right for me, I'm seeing all posts since a few days ago as new even though I've logged in and read posts several times since then.

I noticed the same thing, but given the option of it showing nothing and showing old stuff, I'll go with the extra. I am not even sure what drives the start time for the "Get New..." so maybe it is working correctly.

Ben

I haven't noticed any issue with it recently. As far as I know, it provides all the new posts since the last time you closed your connection. That said, I have developed the habit of marking all the boards as read before I leave the site, so it's possible that it finally moved to the reasonable behavior of displaying all the unread posts in this page, not just the ones that were posted since the last time you left the site.

Michael, is that the case? If it is, I would be quite happy.

OK, now I see the same thing. If I leave the site without marking all posts as read, then when I come back to the site after a while, all the posts are displayed again in the View New Posts page and are marked as having new posts even if I read them before. That's not good, although I personally don't mind since I mark all posts as read.

I'm not sure of what the problem is. However, I upgraded many components on the site over the past few days. It's possible that one of the upgrades changed the behavior of this. Lets monitor this for a week or so to see how it really works.

One thing I noticed is that if you set the menu at the bottom right to "today", and click "GO" it shows only todays posts. However it doesn't keep this after you close your browser and come back.

Another thing I noticed is that as long as you are logged in (and keep yourself logged in), you will see the bahavior you describe. Then the only indication of new posts is the tiny orange squares. However if you log off (by clicking the log off button), you reset this and then you list will be empty when you log back in.

• 7 months later...

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 13 2008, 07:06 PM)

I'm not sure of what the problem is. However, I upgraded many components on the site over the past few days. It's possible that one of the upgrades changed the behavior of this. Lets monitor this for a week or so to see how it really works.

One thing I noticed is that if you set the menu at the bottom right to "today", and click "GO" it shows only todays posts. However it doesn't keep this after you close your browser and come back.

Another thing I noticed is that as long as you are logged in (and keep yourself logged in), you will see the bahavior you describe. Then the only indication of new posts is the tiny orange squares. However if you log off (by clicking the log off button), you reset this and then you list will be empty when you log back in.

Maybe this was an intentional change, but is it possible that at some point this will go back to the old system where you didn't have to click "Mark all forums as read" in the "View New Posts" list? Related to this would be having the count of new posts on the front page also reset, so I don't have to click "View New Posts" to see how many new posts there have actually been since my last visit. I don't usually log out so the system now thinks there are several thousand new posts.