GOOP Developer is not free software

Lately I have come across several users who have used the evaluation version of GOOP Developer to build commercial systems, which is a violation of the evaluation license. These encounters have been mostly by chance and suggests that the number of violations are quite large.

GOOP Developer cost me a lot of time and money to develop and supporting it is a continuing expense, I have to purchase my own LabVIEW licenses so I can maintain compatibility.

I really hate having to bring this up, but please, if you have used or are continuing to use the evaluation version to build classes for commercial use, then you need to purchase the full version.

I'm not trying to be a pest. I think you're right.

However, wasn't there a version of GOOP developer which did not require a license for commercial systems? It's possible that people still remember that.

Personally, I'm not sure how high the level of awareness for this product is in general. I'm relatively into things and I didn't do anything with it other than testing it a couple of times (most recently about two weeks ago).

I am not sure that if I would have to decided to use it I would have noticed that building a commercial app requires a license. I mean, I would definitely try to convince my boss that it was worth it and if I would notice that the license is required, we would have bought it or not have used it, but I wasn't really aware of this until now.

QUOTE(yen @ Jun 28 2007, 01:37 AM)

However, wasn't there a version of GOOP developer which did not require a license for commercial systems? It's possible that people still remember that.

Hi Yen

There was never a version of GOOP Developer that was free to use for commercial use. There are three versions of GOOP Developer, Evaluation, Full, and recently Academic. There is an open source GOOP Wizard that can handle creation of classes using the open source GOOP Templates, but it is nowhere as featured and user friendly as GOOP Developer.

Evaluation means exactly that, you are evaluating GOOP Developer, it even nags the user that they are using evaluation software and prompts them to purchase, I don't know how users can be confused about this.

OK, I see where I may have got the idea from:

QUOTE(SciWare @ Jun 20 2006, 06:07 PM)

The Evaluation version of GOOP Developer is fully featured and you may use it without restriction.

The rest of that paragraph doesn't make it absolutely clear that you HAVE to get the retail version, but that's the general spirit of it. However, I guess this part was what stuck.