Industrial Laptops for LabVIEW

Dan Bookwalter

I have had good luck with DELL Inspirons.. I take mine to saw-mills all the time.. a VERY dirty, dusty, hot environment with continuous high vibration..

I frequently have saw-dust on them from the static on the display.. still running fine after a couple of years of this treatment.

They aren't marketed as "rugged/industrial" but they sure work fine. They don't come with a serial port though.. you would have to use a USB to RS-232 converter.

I have seen people in the mills use the Panasonic Tough-Book it looks pretty rugged, but they usually lag behind in terms of the latest generation hardware.

Neville.

I'm developing an application on a Panasonic Toughbook as I type. It's headed for a submarine environment, and it doesn't get much "tougher" than that. I had the rep in here the other day and he tossed the thing on the floor a couple times and it still came up running. Plus it meets all sorts of water/heat mil-specs. And, it's one of the few laptops you can still get with a serial port.

• 2 weeks later...