create user defined property node?

i'm using 7.1.1

I now we can create customized controls. But can we add our own properties to their property nodes?

Nothing I've found suggests this is possible, so I thought I'd put it out there. Does anyone know where the properties of a control are stored, any behind the scenes way to access and manipulate them?

Otherwise I suppose I can just make a class.

thanks

James

You mentioned building a class.... which to me inferrs that you are using 8.2 or above... yet you say you're on 7.1.1

I'm assuming that you have mixed up your terms. That being said, had my system not rebooted before my earlier reply got sent, I would have said the same thing that Mike said regarding XControls.

The one drawback to this approach is that you can not simply extend the properties of an existing control... say a slide

You would need to replicate all of the properties of the single control you are intersted in within the XControl in order to expose them from the property nodes. Otherwise you will only have a ver generic set of properties available which although would include yours.

I suggest that you investigate the Property Saver toolkit mentioned by Yen in another thread. I beilve that this is the link to it. This toolkit will allow you to extract all properties of a specific control for saving and other purposes {exposing in an x control}

QUOTE(NormKirchner @ Aug 27 2007, 09:30 PM)

You mentioned building a class.... which to me inferrs that you are using 8.2 or above... yet you say you're on 7.1.1

I'm assuming that you have mixed up your terms.

thank you all for your respones. yes I am using 7.1.1, and I did mean class. I know that 8.2 has built in support for classes, but in earlier versions there is still a way of manually making classes that can be passed by reference. I downloaded some tools from the openg site that make it easier. Though I could also just make a type def, since I don't need in this case all the functionality a class can offer.

Yet another reason to go to 8.2+. Seems that my bosses are planning on upgrading in the forseeable future, but until then... When I get there, I 'll definitely be re-reading this and the links.

James