Event Based Programming with the Base Development Package

Hi All,

This is my first post to this great forum; I'm so glad that I have this resource.

I'm currently using the Base Development System ver. 8.2.1. According to NI this package lacks event based programming features. In fact if I look at the 'structures' palette there is a blank space where the event structure would be in the full version.

Now, if I take a look at the templates NI provides when you invoke 'New...' from the file menu I find a framework named "Top Level Application Using Events." Clicking on this creates a little VI with an event structure and a stop button. When I run this it behaves just as expected.

Does anybody have a sense for what kinds of problems I'll run into if I decide to develop and event based VI with the base package? Is it worth the trouble?

Regards,

Josh

QUOTE(JReiner @ Sep 7 2007, 09:44 AM)

Hi All,

This is my first post to this great forum; I'm so glad that I have this resource.

I'm currently using the Base Development System ver. 8.2.1. According to NI this package lacks event based programming features. In fact if I look at the 'structures' palette there is a blank space where the event structure would be in the full version.

Now, if I take a look at the templates NI provides when you invoke 'New...' from the file menu I find a framework named "Top Level Application Using Events." Clicking on this creates a little VI with an event structure and a stop button. When I run this it behaves just as expected.

Does anybody have a sense for what kinds of problems I'll run into if I decide to develop and event based VI with the base package? Is it worth the trouble?

Regards,

Josh

My understanding is that existing code will run with the added functionality, but you will not be able to save any edits. You might want to try saving/building with some basic modifications before getting too far into a project.

QUOTE(TobyD @ Sep 7 2007, 01:02 PM)

My understanding is that existing code will run with the added functionality, but you will not be able to save any edits. You might want to try saving/building with some basic modifications before getting too far into a project.

Actually, I found that when right-clicking on the event structure there is no option to add an event case. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Josh