LV 8.5 crashes when duplicating case

george seifert

When I try to duplicate a case in my case structure, LV crashes big time. :thumbdown: I tried it several times on one case and it crashed every time. Then I tried another case and it worked. I suspected that it happens if there's a control in the case so I removed the control and it duplicated fine. This has happened in at least 3 different VIs now. At least I'm ready for it now and make sure to save before trying it. This is definitely a bad bug. Anyone else seen this?

George

QUOTE(george seifert @ Sep 27 2007, 07:33 AM)

When I try to duplicate a case in my case structure, LV crashes big time. :thumbdown: I tried it several times on one case and it crashed every time. Then I tried another case and it worked. I suspected that it happens if there's a control in the case so I removed the control and it duplicated fine. This has happened in at least 3 different VIs now. At least I'm ready for it now and make sure to save before trying it. This is definitely a bad bug. Anyone else seen this?

I just tried this with a simple Case structure (T/F selector) and a DBL control terminal, and I was not able to reproduce it.

Can you post more info about what's going on in/around the structure? Maybe a screenshot of (some portion of) the code?

quote name='Justin Goeres' date='Sep 27 2007, 10:03 AM' post='36355']

I just tried this with a simple Case structure (T/F selector) and a DBL control terminal, and I was not able to reproduce it.

Can you post more info about what's going on in/around the structure? Maybe a screenshot of (some portion of) the code?

Here's a screen shot. The case I was duplicating was in the upper loop.

post-2786-1190906623.jpg?width=400

QUOTE(george seifert @ Sep 27 2007, 08:25 AM)

Wow, not much going on there that you'd think would cause a problem.

You said it's happened in a few other VIs, too. Did they all look basically like this one?

Just as a shot in the dark, if you add an initializing value to the shift register in the top loop (i.e. wire something to the left side of it), does that make the problem go away? Over the years I've managed to confuse LabVIEW a few times when I didn't initialize a shift register and LabVIEW apparently couldn't infer its type properly.

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Sep 27 2007, 11:03 AM)

Wow, not much going on there that you'd think would cause a problem.

You said it's happened in a few other VIs, too. Did they all look basically like this one?

Just as a shot in the dark, if you add an initializing value to the shift register in the top loop (i.e. wire something to the left side of it), does that make the problem go away? Over the years I've managed to confuse LabVIEW a few times when I didn't initialize a shift register and LabVIEW apparently couldn't infer its type properly.

I suppose they looked somewhat similar. At least one of them was pretty big. This one is fairly small. The big one had the shift register initialized outside the loop so I don't think that's problem. It's curious that it worked when I moved the control out of the case I was trying to duplicate. The VI was even broken because I didn't bother to delete the wire after I moved the control. I've duplicated cases that have local variables and porperty nodes in them. Guess I'll have to do some more experimenting.

George