Newbie: How to include data type to cluster references?

Ascen

Even after hours of prowling the forums, etc, I have been unable to find out

how to set a cluster reference to Include data type.

I need to use strictly typed cluster reference as a input to a subvi

- I have managed to get it do just that by creating the subvi with local

variables and then going through "Edit>>Create SubVI". However, I would

like to know how to create proper references directly, without going through

those steps.

This here (Lavag - Control References) simply states

"by right clicking on the refnum (or its terminal in the block diagram) and selecting "Include Data Type"

in order to set a control reference data type.

However, when right-clicking the control refnum, the Include Data Type is greyed.

gray_refnum.jpg

I'm using version 8.2.1

QUOTE(Ascen @ Oct 30 2007, 10:45 AM)

Even after hours of prowling the forums, etc, I have been unable to find out

how to set a cluster reference to Include data type.

I need to use strictly typed cluster reference as a input to a subvi

- I have managed to get it do just that by creating the subvi with local

variables and then going through "Edit>>Create SubVI". However, I would

like to know how to create proper references directly, without going through

those steps.

Just drag the control (typedef or not) onto the generic control ref. Ctrl-drag and drop will keep the original control on the front panel, otherwise it will be swallowed by the ref.

• 2 months later...

Why is the "Include Data Type" Grayed out?

Thanks

Dan

QUOTE(JDave @ Oct 30 2007, 01:05 PM)

Just drag the control (typedef or not) onto the generic control ref. Ctrl-drag and drop will keep the original control on the front panel, otherwise it will be swallowed by the ref.

QUOTE(ASTDan @ Jan 18 2008, 11:15 AM)

Why is the "Include Data Type" Grayed out?

I'm not sure. It is grayed out only sometimes. If it is a generic control ref, then there is no data type to include -- thus it is grayed out. If you drag a control onto the ref, then the option becomes checked and not grayed out.

Is there a particular situation that you are looking at?

David

If I manualy navigate to define the control Ref i.e. Right Click on a generic control ref, Select VI Server Class\Generic\etc....

The option to include the data type is grayed out. In the past I was able to select that (I think I could....). Why is it grayed out? Is this a bug? It seems you should be able to select if you want to include that data type or not.

Thanks

Dan

QUOTE(JDave @ Jan 18 2008, 02:27 PM)

I'm not sure. It is grayed out only sometimes. If it is a generic control ref, then there is no data type to include -- thus it is grayed out. If you drag a control onto the ref, then the option becomes checked and not grayed out.

Is there a particular situation that you are looking at?

David

QUOTE(ASTDan @ Jan 18 2008, 01:43 PM)

If I manualy navigate to define the control Ref i.e. Right Click on a generic control ref, Select VI Server Class\Generic\etc....

The option to include the data type is grayed out. In the past I was able to select that (I think I could....). Why is it grayed out? Is this a bug? It seems you should be able to select if you want to include that data type or not.

The ref class that you choose by manually navigating is still a "generic" version of that class. If you create a ref control from a control (by right clicking on it or Ctrl+dragging the control onto a ref) then the ref control now has access to the properties of that control (numeric representation, boolean mechanical action, etc.). These properties are what is referred to by this "Include Data Type".

David