Doubts in Data Acquisition System

Popatlal

I have some doubts in Data Acquisition system..

1. What is Transducer?..is it convert one form of energy into other or anything else?..

2. What will be the output of ADC?..Ofcourse it is Digital..But My question is suppose I am giving 5 Volt input to my ADC, what wil be the digital output?.How?

3. Suppose I am applying 5 Volts DC signal to my ADC, shall i get any output?..

4. What is sampling rate?..

5. Short Note on Resolution

6. How sampling rate and Number of samples relates to each other?..

Please help me to get the answers of this questions..

Popatlal

QUOTE(Popatlal @ Nov 1 2007, 08:11 PM)

1. Dictionary.com

2. It depends completely on the characteristics of your ADC. Wikipedia might shed some light on the subject, but I didn't read the article.

3. See #2.

4. Wikipedia.

5. Resolution means slightly different things in different contexts. Since you're talking about ADCs, I'm guessing that for you resolution means the smallest analog voltage signal change that causes a change in the digital output of the ADC. For instance if you've got a 10-bit ADC working in a 0-5V range, the resolution of your ADC will be something like 5 V / 210 = 0.00488 V = 4.88 mV. The Wikipedia article in #2 covers this, as well.

6. I'm confused a bit by this one. For sampling rate, see #4. Number of samples is just the number of samples acquired during a data acquistion. Generally speaking, Number Of Samples = sampling rate x amount of time you spent acquiring data.

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :headbang:

You chucklehead. Quit asking homework questions on the forums.

Actually keep asking, It's nice to remember what its like to slack off.

Well this brings up a good philosophical point.

Each of us on the forum, use it to help answer questions we have on our jobs (aside from the lounge)

So does that mean that students shouldn't use us as resources for their questions? I mean, a question like "what is the output of an ADC or how does resolution play into full scale gain" is fair no? Where else would they get the answer? Text book, sure, but so could we for some of our questions. Google or online(other than a forum)? sure but its just easier to ask a group of people interested in helping.

Also isn't it better to get someone involved in the forums early on, and have them come back when they have a really cool discovery and share it(and the royalties )w/ all of us?

eh, only the shadow knows

QUOTE(Norm Kirchner @ Nov 2 2007, 08:08 AM)

Well this brings up a good philosophical point.

Each of us on the forum, use it to help answer questions we have on our jobs (aside from the lounge)

So does that mean that students shouldn't use us as resources for their questions? I mean, a question like "what is the output of an ADC or how does resolution play into full scale gain" is fair no? Where else would they get the answer? Text book, sure, but so could we for some of our questions. Google or online(other than a forum)? sure but its just easier to ask a group of people interested in helping.

Also isn't it better to get someone involved in the forums early on, and have them come back when they have a really cool discovery and share it(and the royalties )w/ all of us?

I was actually discussing almost exactly that with someone the other day. With all the homework questions around here lately, it's actually starting to make me paranoid about answering simple newbie questions from non-homework-hustlers. While I can't be anyone's private tutor (unless I'm on the clock ;) ), people who are real, interested novices should definitely feel comfortable asking what are, to some people, stupid questions :P. For that matter, there's plenty that I don't know, and that I would have to start out by asking some pretty inane questions about. I wouldn't want to look like a hypocrite by coming down hard on a n00b, then turning around and asking a question that looks equally stupid to someone else.

However (like in the above case, for instance), when someone comes here asking for fundamental definitions of basic instrumentation concepts, they have to be satisfied with a simple link back to another reference site. ;)