LV 8.5 Build EXE with Dynamic VIs

Hi!

This may seem like a trivial question, but I can't get around it!

When working with 8.2, it is simple to build dynamically loaded VIs into the EXE using the "Source Files" and the "Source File Settings" tab in the app builder. Wen you generate a preview of the build, the dynamic VIs are not visible.

When working with 8.5, you cannot set the destination of the source files to the EXE. The only choices you have are "same as caller", "Support Directory", and "Destination directory". When you generate a preview, the dynamic VIs are pasted. How do I get the same result as in 8.2? :headbang:

Thanks,

Andrew

QUOTE(MrYoung @ Nov 27 2007, 08:29 PM)

When working with 8.2, it is simple to build dynamically loaded VIs into the EXE using the "Source Files" and the "Source File Settings" tab in the app builder. Wen you generate a preview of the build, the dynamic VIs are not visible.

When working with 8.5, you cannot set the destination of the source files to the EXE. The only choices you have are "same as caller", "Support Directory", and "Destination directory". When you generate a preview, the dynamic VIs are pasted. How do I get the same result as in 8.2? :headbang:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it works for me. I regularly build EXEs with dynamic VIs included, and have never had any issue. It works exactly like it sounds like you think it should :blink: .

In the Source File Settings tab, when I select a dynamic VI, I see the following choices:

• same as caller
  • My Application.exe
  • Support Directory
  • Destination Directory

Selecting My Application.exe as the destination causes the dynamic VI to be built into the final EXE file, and it does not appear separately in the Preview (just like in 8.2). Are you saying you don't even see My Application.exe as a choice?

If I select a manually included non-VI file (like a config file or something), I still see My Application.exe in the Destination pull-down, but it's greyed out (again, just like 8.2).

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Nov 29 2007, 01:58 AM)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it works for me. I regularly build EXEs with dynamic VIs included, and have never had any issue. It works exactly like it sounds like you think it should :blink: .

In the Source File Settings tab, when I select a dynamic VI, I see the following choices:

• same as caller
  • My Application.exe
  • Support Directory
  • Destination Directory

Selecting My Application.exe as the destination causes the dynamic VI to be built into the final EXE file, and it does not appear separately in the Preview (just like in 8.2). Are you saying you don't even see My Application.exe as a choice?

If I select a manually included non-VI file (like a config file or something), I still see My Application.exe in the Destination pull-down, but it's greyed out (again, just like 8.2).

Hi Justin,

Thanks for looking into it for me. The project was converted from 8.2. When I created a new project file, it all went to plan. I have no idea why it wasn't working originally but it's all solved now! :D

I thought it a bit strange that nobody else had seen the same thing, but at least this post will reassure the next person that recreating your project from scratch will be worth the effort if they see this happen.

Take a look at the screenshots I've attached. (I can't figure out how to insert them when it asks for a URL :blink: )

Thanks again!

Andrew

QUOTE(MrYoung @ Nov 28 2007, 08:00 PM)

Thanks for looking into it for me. The project was converted from 8.2. When I created a new project file, it all went to plan. I have no idea why it wasn't working originally but it's all solved now! :D

We have a big project and none of our builds worked when we tried to use our 8.2 lvproj files. They just failed with errors with blank error descriptions. Everything was fine when we started from scratch (after a couple of wasted days and some tech support). The lvproj 8.2 -> 8.5 upgrade seems to be just hopelessly broken. :headbang:

QUOTE(jdunham @ Nov 29 2007, 02:40 AM)

We have a big project and none of our builds worked when we tried to use our 8.2 lvproj files. They just failed with errors with blank error descriptions. Everything was fine when we started from scratch (after a couple of wasted days and some tech support). The lvproj 8.2 -> 8.5 upgrade seems to be just hopelessly broken. :headbang:

I would be interested to know specifics on what problems you had when you tried to work with your 8.2 project in 8.5. What exactly didn't work?

QUOTE(jdunham @ Nov 29 2007, 12:40 AM)

I had a similar problem a while back.

I could build just fine, but the build spec became uneditable (every changes I made broke the build).

Recreating the project fixed it.

PJM