Auto Probe problem

When I start LabView the next day and right-click on a wire and select probe, my custom probes are not used by default. It's like LabVIEW doesn't remember that I used a certain probe yesterday. Now I think I can correct this problem by going into Tools-Options-Debugging and unchecking "Auto probe during execution highlighting". But then when I run the VI with highlighting on I don't see the data as it flows through the wires. And yes I do have "Show data flow during execution highlighting" selected in the options.

There must be some combination of settings that I messed up because I know you can see data when highlighting and have LabView use your custom probes by default when selecting Probe. Has anyone else seen this before?

The "autoprobes" are the small items on the wires when you run execution highlighting. They have nothing to do with custom probes. So playing with that Tools>>Options setting won't have any effect.

The custom probes that you've used are remembered in your Labview.ini (or whatever the filename is on Mac and Linux) configuration file. Run LV and use a custom probe then exit LV. Then check the timestamp on your LabVIEW.ini file. Make sure it updated. Maybe your .ini file is read only? Perhaps you are overwriting that file somehow?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'm still having problems. This seems very strange to me but LabVIEW deletes the ProbeDefaultCache_8.5 entry everytime I close LabVIEW. Heres what I do.

1. I open LabVIEW and create a new VI.

2. I create a numeric control and wire it to a loop (just to get a wire)

3. I then create a probe from the wire and select my custom probe from the Custom Probe menu.

4. Now I open up the LabVIEW.ini file with Notepad++ and under ProbeDefaultCache_8.5 I see 43 default probe entries and my newly created probe entry.

5. I close LabVIEW and Notepad++ prompts me that the ini file has changed so I reload it. The ProbeDefaultCache_8.5 entries are still there.

Everything seems fine and dandy.

6. Now I open LabVIEW again.

7. Then all I do is close LabVIEW.

8. Now after reloading the ini file the ProbeDefaultCache_8.5 entry is gone! Even the default probes are gone.

Something seems to be corrupted or I setup something wrong. Does anyone have suggestions? I really don't want to reinstall LabVIEW.