configuring cRIO device

gammalight

Hello,

I hope my question is quick and painless to answer. I will add that I am new to using cRIO devices and FPGA programming. I have cRIO-9004 device that I am configuring in MAX. The 9004 is connected to the host computer via USB ethernet adapter and crossover cable. The IP address is 169.254.92.15 and the subnet mask ID is 255.255.0.0. When I start MAX the device shows up under "Remote Systems" with an IP adress of 0.0.0.0, which is a good thing. I then try to set my network settings, with an IP address of 169.254.0.2, which times out when I ping which means nothing is using this address already, and the same subnet mask ID, 255.255.0.0. I then type a name in the name field under the identification section. But when I hit the apply button I get a message that says:

"The subnet mask you entered places the target and the gateway in two different subnets, which may make this partially unconfigurable."

I can click okay, and it appears to let me proceed, but this doesn't seem right. Can anyone help me out, am I doing something wrong here?

There is also a VISA error under the "Device and Interfaces" section.

I am simply just fiddiling with the device, this is not for a project for school or a project for work, just for curiosity sake.

QUOTE(gammalight @ Feb 5 2008, 10:54 AM)

Hello,

I hope my question is quick and painless to answer. I will add that I am new to using cRIO devices and FPGA programming. I have cRIO-9004 device that I am configuring in MAX. The 9004 is connected to the host computer via USB ethernet adapter and crossover cable. The IP address is 169.254.92.15 and the subnet mask ID is 255.255.0.0. When I start MAX the device shows up under "Remote Systems" with an IP adress of 0.0.0.0, which is a good thing. I then try to set my network settings, with an IP address of 169.254.0.2, which times out when I ping which means nothing is using this address already, and the same subnet mask ID, 255.255.0.0. I then type a name in the name field under the identification section. But when I hit the apply button I get a message that says:

"The subnet mask you entered places the target and the gateway in two different subnets, which may make this partially unconfigurable."

I can click okay, and it appears to let me proceed, but this doesn't seem right. Can anyone help me out, am I doing something wrong here?

I am simply just fiddiling with the device, this is not for a project for school or a project for work, just for curiosity sake.

If you use crossover cable, you should use the same 3 IP address fields which is 169.254.92.xxx in your case. Because you use 169.254.0.2, there is no way the host computer can communicate with the cRIO. That's what I think.

QUOTE(gammalight @ Feb 5 2008, 11:54 AM)

Hello,

The answer is in your error message - did you set an IP address for the RIO's gateway? Your IP addresses and subnet mask settings should be fine for communication between your PC and the RIO; that error message is telling you that you will be unable to reach the RIO from outside of your local network because the IP address of the gateway is somewhere else entirely. You can probably set the RIO's gateway to the IP address of your computer if it bothers you.