Making lists of items that can be clicked for more information

minority

Apologies if this thread does not belong here.

I'm very new to LabVIEW, and have tried searching the Help and this forum for this.

I'm looking to create a list in which items can be added or removed during runtime.

At the same time, I want to give the user the ability to get more information about the item by either hovering over the item or double-clicking it.

My current solution is to use a listbox and a separate button to get info about this, but I would like to remove this one small bit of tedium.

All replies would be very much appreciated.

cheers

You can use an event structure and capture both the value change and double click events for the listbox. This won't give you the hovering behavior you want, but you can do a combination of a mouse enter event followed by mouse move events to figure out which element you're over. I know that tables have a method for this, so it's possible that listboxes have one as well.

You can find some tutorials here.

I would also suggest looking into the Context Menus (right click menu) Although it doesn't show the information as easily as a magic floating text-box when you hover over a value, it does provide for a cleaner interface and also more intuitive. Most people expect to find more options/info when they right click on an item on the screen

QUOTE(Norm Kirchner @ Feb 19 2008, 03:12 PM)

I would also suggest looking into the Context Menus (right click menu) Although it doesn't show the information as easily as a magic floating text-box when you hover over a value, it does provide for a cleaner interface and also more intuitive. Most people expect to find more options/info when they right click on an item on the screen

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm developing for both the Mac and Windows though, so I'm guessing that setting what appears in the context menu would work for both OSes?

cheers