Resizing images

Michael, I know there was probably a thread about this already (I even seem to vaguely remember it), but I couldn't find it.

Do images embedded in posts always have to be resized? At home, I usually have an 800x600 display, which is probably the minimum anyone would have, and even images which are not very wide and would fit nicely in that screen get resized, so that I have to open them in a new window.

Is it possible to set a minimum width for images being resized (e.g. the image will only be resized if it is wider than 500 pixels)?

I didn't realize this was already an option.

Looking at the way the site is rendered here, the text area is about 580 pixels wide, so I would say you can bump it to 550 without risking anything and the benefits are worth it.

The viewable height in my browser is around 430 pixels, so I would say 400 is fine for the height, although I think height is less important than width, since we already scroll up and down.

Thanks.

Edit - even better, would it be possible to make this a user setting?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, when I change my resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768 it changes the compression level, but it actually went the wrong way - it compressed it more.

Interestingly, it seems to compress it by the ratio of the image and the screen width (1-(383/800)=~0.52, 1-(383/1024)=~0.66). I guess that when it goes over a certain limit, it stops doing this.

It seems to work fine now, thanks.

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 15 2008, 11:11 PM)

I'm running 1920x1200 (isn't everyone?)

Well, at home I usually use a PC with an old 17" CRT and I sit a bit far from the screen, so 800x600 seems to be a reasonable resolution. Since I don't really do LabVIEW work on this computer, I don't really mind.