sending image files via smtp

I would like to help you, but this description is so vague that I could only take a wild guess as to what you are trying to do (and I don't want to waste either of our time).

Please be a little more specific. What VI are you refering to? How are you trying to use it? What characters are you getting back and how are you looking at them (using an email client? Which one?). Screenshots are fantastic, actual VIs that you are trying to get to work may be better.

Also, this question doesn't belong in the LabVIEW 8.x.x Discussions forum. Please take the time to become familiar with the several different forums LAVA has available, so that you can get the best response possible in the shortest amount of time.

Everything orko said is right; I would also add that you might find some info in the SMTP RFC document.

Also, in your case you might find it easier to use a command-line sendmail. I don't know much off-hand about how to format an attachment into an email, but you might be able to glean some of what you need from here, or by just emailing yourself a simple attachment and looking at the raw source of the email.